1 megapixel question

e_lin

I was wondering if around 1 megapixel is enough for a decent 4x6

print. This is just in "emergencies" if i run out of disk space. I

have Sony DSC_v1 which is 5 megapixel camera. Cuz sometimes if you

run out of space u miss the shot. I primarily want to print 4x6

anyways. Most of the time i use 5 megapixels. Will the picture look

pixelated or unsharp or is it okay because 4x6 is small anyways?

the problem is im just a kid so i can't really drive anywhere to get prints. plus im not getting a photo printer until couple of weeks. i was just wondering if anyone has had experiences printing from 1 to 1.5 megapixels.

OK, I'll give you a datapoint. My 'walking around notetaking' camera is a Nikon Coolpix 2500 with a 2MP sensor. I bang out 8.5 x 11" prints through the office printer and they look fine in terms of detail and pixels. The colors are nothing to write home about on the office printer, but the detail is there. I have had others make similar sized prints from my 2MP files on their 'photo quality' printers, and it still holds together pretty well. Not quite to 35mm standards, but pretty good.

If your ONLY CAMERA has a 5MP sensor, then what I THINK (???) you are really asking is whether selecting a LOWER RESOLUTION option in your camera's menu list (giving you SMALLER FILE SIZES) will still result in acceptable 4x6 prints...???

Is that your real question (as opposed to using a DIFFERENT CAMERA that has a 1MP sensor)?

My first digital was one of these free units given away with a new computer purchase. My son gave it to me. It was a Fuji Finepix 1300 with 1.3mgp. When using the maximum "fine" resolution setting I got some pretty good 5x7 prints. 4X6 prints should be no problem. When i bought my bigger unit, I gave it to a 7 year old friend of the family and he loves it (his dad knows about the digital stuff!). What a great way to get into photography! Have fun!

i went to the park today and shot 4 hours of pictures using 5 megapixel standard jpeg compression. I managed to get 70 pictures i liked. i took a lot more but i deleted the ones that weren't sharp or had bad composition. guess i don't need all that space :) i still had space for 40 more pics and plus i had another spare 32mb disk that came with my camera :) thanks anyways.

Evan,

I would suggest you get a larger memory card ASAP. In fact, HOLD OFF the printer and put that money into the memory card. I know you won't be able to make prints immeadeatly, but at least you will have the best image quality possible for those prints when you save back up the money to buy the printer.