Out of Curiousity

Over the past couple of years, I've noticed that black M6's tend to

go for significantly more money than the chrome body's. Of course,

the finish makes no difference at all in which camera to purchase -

nevertheless, why is this? I mean, I have heard over and over that

the black paint is a weaker finish, etc, and yet it commands a higher

price. Any insights into this trivial little fact?

Might it be that some folks consider black cameras slightly more inconspicuous? Of course, these days, when every joker and his kid has a little silver P&S, a silver-topped camera passes without much notice 'cept amongst us fogies. Of course, the silver Ms appear a little retro, and that might attract some attention. Who knows, though, really? It's an aesthetic thing, too -- as nifty as the chrome M5s look, I'd never give up my beat-up old black one -- it just suits my aesthetic.

<<Over the past couple of years, I've noticed that black M6's tend to go for significantly more money than the chrome body's>>

This reflects the fact that more *photographers* buy black cameras, and photographers tend to hang onto them which makes them less plentiful on the second-hand market and therefore more expensive. More *fondlers* buy chrome bodies, tire of them quickly, and there's always a good supply of them which keeps the prices down.

You'll also notice that chrome versions of the modern lenses also sell for less than the black ones, and for similar reasons. They're great for fondling, but offer nothing to photographers in return for the significant weight increase over black ones. And they look gross on black bodies.

As Shaft used to say, black is beautiful baby. But I think the most inconspicuous model is the silver MP. Even flatter silver than an early M and logo-less on the front. Next is that LHSA black model with the black Leica dot. Sexy. Personally, I prefer national security tape - the tape previously known as duct tape - in designer colors like silver or black. Or both.<div>005OkO-13388684.jpg.88fee35999359ef6c488566f76825f4e.jpg</div>

Edward, are you talking about black paint M6, or black chrome?? Black paint M6 go for much, much, more than chrome because they were aimed as collectors editions, like the LHSA version, and sold at a premium direct from Leica. The regular black chrome M6 on the other hand sell for about the same as silver chrome, not 'significantly more'. The situation has been reversed recently with the black paint version of the MP being sold at the same price as the chrome version. In this case the chosen finish is down to personal preference.

Steve,

"Black paint M6 go for much, much, more than chrome because they were

aimed as collectors editions, like the LHSA version, and sold at a premium direct from

Leica." was used by the dealer to persuade me to buy the black paint MP. He believe

that, like other models when they were introduced, Leica produces a small number of

black paint onces before discontinue it and convert fully to black chrome. This is why

a black paint MP will hold value more than black chrome /silver chrome.

Of course, I don't inten to put MP in a dry caby all year round and never use it so that

it will hold its value. But is this dealer b*llsh*ting me or is he telling the true?

Thx