Quantum system help

salva_c

I'm looking for a portable flash system

I was thinking in a Quantum Qpaq-x

I will like to used it for two main thing.

1-Portrait (outdoor) from short shot to small groups 4-5 people.

2-Still-life / commercial

Can I use different heads lamps?

Can I mount light boxes in the Quantum flash heads?

The Quantum system it's based in module and I'm not sure if I understood

correctly.

What should by the minimum equipment for shots outdoor? I want to carry the

minimum weight and I only need one flash.

PX Command Module + PB 2 (Compact Battery)

Whit PX and PB 2 Is that the minimum equipment (200 W) or I have to use a

add-on module PXC?

In other way, the Command Module PX has all ready 200 w capacity?

My English is not very good and the Quantum web page is a little confuse.

If I want 200 w power I have to buy:

PX +PB2 (or PB3) and of course the head lamp. It's that all?.

If someone have experience whit this system I really appreciate some tips and

opinions.

Thanks Salvador

Lets back up a step before getting into the specifics of the Xpaq. Quantum has the X and T light systems. The X lights are designed to be used as small portable studio lights. The The T lights are primarily designed for camera flash bracket mounting for event/wedding photography. The X lights are nice because they give you a small modeling light and you can go up to 800ws of output with them. Now, the lights are powered differently and use different style connectors and batteries(although you can get adaptors to use the X with batteries intended for the T. For the X you need a Command Module (PX) and at least a small battery (PB2) to get started with 200ws. The PXC modules are capacitors to add to the light power output. These power pack assemblies are much bigger than the Turbo batteries that the T lights use, and I wouldn't want to work all day with one slung from my shoulder. The X system will also be more expensive. Unless you are going to go above 200ws, there are very few advantages to the X. All the light modifiers (reflectors, softboxes, etc.) fit both. The also use the same adaptors (to mount these things) as Lumidyne lights. If you are going to use the light as portable studio lighting, you should also look at Lumidyne equipment, which seems to sell used at a much greater discount (relative to its new price) than Quantum gear.

I have the X2 flash with the Qpaq-X power source. I think Bruce has done a good job of explaining the options.

As Bruce pointed out, if you will only be using the system configured for 200 Watt-seconds of power, you will definitely save money if you chose the cheaper T2 150 watt-second flash and the appropriate lighter battery. It will be nearly equivalent to the X2 flash at 200 ws.

If you plan to use the system like a studio power pack with flash heads, then spend the money and get the X2. Remember, each X2 flash can handle a maximum of 400 watt-seconds.

PX + (PB1 or PB2)= 200 ws (minimum equipment) + X2 flash

PX + PXC + (PB1 or PB2) = 400 ws (more power) + X2 flash

If you will be modifying the light of the flash by using a medium softbox or large satin umbrella, you may find that you need 400 ws of power when using slow film or smaller lens apertures.

The PB1 battery is very heavy. Unless you are doing 10 hours of wedding coverage, you will probably find the compact battery (PB2) to be adequate. I don't find the PX and compact battery combination to be too heavy for carrying over the shoulder, but it is certainly much heavier and bulkier than the batteries for the T2 flash unit.

I have only one X2 head for my Qpaq-x. I have no experience with connecting heads from other manufacturers to the Qpaq-X. You can use power sources from other manufacturers, such as Lumedyne and Norman with an adapter for an X2 head.

The X2 is a very good flash, and works equally well as an automatic flash on a bracket for wedding/event coverage and as a manual flash for doing portable studio work outside and where AC power is not available. I like mine very much.