What should i look for in 50mm1.8 MK I??

goldwyn_t

Hi guys,

Need your input once more. I recently saw an ad on ebay about a 50mm

MK I for sale in my city. I'm very interested in acquiring that lens

as many of you have recommended thus. The question is this - if i

can look and check out this lens in person, what should i look for?

For example, dust in elements, scratches, irregular bends/crannies?

This is the first time i will purchase a used lens, so i really

don't know how to be smart about it!

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!

Personally, I don't think that the outer condition is of any importance, as long as everything else works fine - focusing and, of course, the final image.

Look at the glass in well lit place. Check carefully the front and rear elements. Look through the lens to a clear blue sky. You should see nothing but clear glass.

Load a roll of a good slide film (e.g. Velvia or Provia) and shoot - with tripod - a brick wall (to test distortion - there shouldn't be any) and the sky (to test vignetting - there shouldn't be any). Try most apertures, especially wide open and closed down. Write down everything. Look carefully at the slides using a good loop.

Do focusing go smoothly ? How about manual focusing ?

All went well ? Buy and be happy.

Happy shooting ,

Yakim.

P.S. I think that the Mk I vs. Mk II debate is blown out of proportion. Most used MK I sell for more than a brand new Mk II. As both share the same optical formula, I'd go for a new lens.

I little while ago I picked up an apparently mint used Mk I, and own the Mk II and f/1.4 version. I paid the same price as a new Mk II in UK£.

I am still waiting for first results, but am already quite converted: the build quality, manual focus sensitivity and focus scale are all in a different league from the Mk II, which I will sell as soon as I've seen satisfactory results. Remember, when Canon was making this, they had no f/1.4, so it was the one and only affordable fast 50 -- so they had to make them well...

Alas, had I found this years ago I almost certainly would not own the f/1.4 now (but I do prefer it for portraits).

Apart from checking manual and autofocus, how clean it is, how sharp the image looks through it, use the depth-of-field preview on your camera to check the aperture blades are working at all apertures. Do this a few times to make sure they don't stick.

Also note that the front lens caps looked different and more rounded for that era of lenses.

As others have said-look through it,if you see anything but clear glass then it's not right.Make sure it focuses on a camera and,if you can,make it stop down to see that the aperture blades are not sticking.In general this model had few problems.If the electronics work then they should continue to work.Oh...and don't worry if the focus motor sounds whirring/loud.The early ones sound horrid but they are OK.They improved the basic motors over the years to the point that the II version is allmost as quiet as uSM lenses.

As others have said, expect the AFD motor to sound noisy and 'bad' compared to the modern micro-motor and ring USm motors, and it'll be a little slower, but the lens has a fairly short focus throw so it's not a big deal unless you're struggling to find focus in low light.

Also, expect the manual focus ring to feel loose and gritty - they're all that way, and it's nothing wrong with your particular sample. Other than that the lens should feel solidly built, certainly by comparison to a 50/1.8II.

Cleanliness is good (indicative of what kind of life it has led before it came into your hands), but mainly you should be concerned about the optics - scratches, fungus, etc - and the mechanical function lf the lens.

Good luck, it's a fantastic lens for the price! Ever six months or so I yearn for a 50/1.4, but my 50/1.8Mk1 is one lens I wouldn't trade for the world.

"As others have said, expect the AFD motor to sound noisy and 'bad' compared to the modern micro-motor and ring USm motors, and it'll be a little slower, but the lens has a fairly short focus throw so it's not a big deal unless you're struggling to find focus in low light."

I have both an EF 50 1.8 MK I and an EF 50 1.4 USM. Both lenses focus about the same speed, a bit on the slow side compared to most small primes. The micro-motor USM of EF 50 1.4 USM isn't very impressive (although FTM is very cool). I'm sure there is a measurable difference between the two lenses but I can't tell. Yes, the AFD makes a soft "sheeeesh" sound during AF but it's really soft. That is, softer than Nikon AF and easily drown out by traffic or AC sounds. The EF 50 1.8 MK I has the most gritty MF I have touched.

Oddly enough--at least on my Elan 7E--the EF 50 1.8 MK I is more sure footed in dim light than the faster lens...

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

This seller is asking 150US for the MkI... which i think is too much for an old lens. I could get 2 new MkIIs for the same price! Hmmm... Perhaps i should just hold off and splurge on the 1.4... arg! These comparisons and reviews are making my head spin! whee!

=)

• 1 year later...