Nikon FM2

david_clark10

Was getting carryed away with the whole digital thing when I managed

to pick a an FM2 body. I love it, its really making me think again!

Anyway is there anywhere instructions can be downloaded from. Also

been using my 80-200 2.8ed and 50 1.8 on it this won't cause any

problrms will it?. Cheers

Hi David.

Good choice! The FM2 is designed for AI type lenses so you can use any AI, AI'd, AIS or AF lens on it without problems, except for G lenses where you can't alter the aperture.

For instructions, go to www.nikonlinks.com and find manual cameras, then FM2, then took for stuff by Leonard Foo, which will take you to a fantastic resource of information about how to use the FM2. I'm not sure if it is a copy of the manual, but with the information there, you'll have everything you need.

Regards, Ross

David--

Congratulations on your purchase. The FM2 cameras are wonderful, lightweight, make-you-think-before-you-shoot 35mm cameras. I love mine.

The lenses you listed won't be a problem with the camera. You can use any AI, AIS, AIP, AF, or AF-D lens on the camera, but forget the G-series. You might not want to slap a VR lens on the FM2--you could damage the circuits in the lens. I don't know this for sure, but it's a good idea not to try this for yourself.

For instructions, visit <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/</a> run by Leo Foo (I think that's his name....) Browse through the mir.com.my website and you will find lots and lots of amazing information.

Have fun,

The only instruction really needed is don't try to fit a non-AI lens on the FM2. It'll probably damage the meter coupling tab on the body. Older lenses that have been AI'd (modifed to AI specs) are fine, tho', and often excellent bargains. No problem with AI, AIS or most AF lenses.

Other than that an SLR doesn't get much more basic, reliable or enjoyable. It's my latest (for about a year and a half) favorite in a 30-year string of similarly basic SLRs, ranging from the Pentax Spotmatic through the Canon FTbn and Olympus OM-1 to the FM2N. Cranking that winder and snicking that shutter release give an indescribably satisfying feeling.

One thing that surprises or causes concern for some is when

the meter exceeds its low level (EV, Aperture and ISO) the

meter reading changes from reading "-" to "+"

so dont get freaked out, this is normal. The meter is

classic Nikon 60/40 center weighted. The 12mm circle shown in the

finder indicates the 60% area of sensitivity. <br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2/index.htm"

target="_new"><u>Nikon FM2 (Full Featured Site)</u></a><br>

<br>

<a

href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/index.htm"

target="_new"><u>FM2n or New FM2 (Instruction Manual)</u></a><br>

<br>

If you are new to SLR(s) youll want to read these. If youve

used an SLR before youll want to skim these for a very few

special considerations like that above. The camera interface is

clean and simple, no menus, its always in the same mode, if

film is loaded just put your thumb behind the advance lever and

go. Its just lovely.

...and unlike some of the neat digital wonders I've seen advertised (at KEH of all places) there is no "Japanese-language" menu to figure out!

(I still have a FM2n I bought 'new' in Tokyo in 1985 (@$187) that works fine.)

One thing I like about the FM2n is that you can figure all or most of the controls out without having to use an instruction manual. When I bought my used FM2n I think I only had to ask the salesman at the camera store what the multiple exposure lever was for.

Have fun!

Manual, who needs a manual for this simple camera?

It's as easy to understand as a traffic light! O=go, +=too much light, -= too little light. Focus, click button. It is the perfect camera for a simple guy like me who can't figure out all that fancy programmed, autofocusing business :) - and wants a camera that will meter in the dark unlike most others!

The more I think about it the more I realize the FM2 isn't as painfully obvious as we'd like to believe.

Examples:

1. No non-AI'd lenses, please.

2. That multiple exposure lever - many of us were accustomed to using the rewind release button and holding down the rewind knob for this particular dance.

3. Mirror lockup via the self timer.

4. Film advance lever must be flipped out to meter or take the shot. Unless the MD-12 is attached. I tend to forget this one since I don't always use the MD-12.

There are probably a few more. It's easy to forget that once upon a time we didn't know all this stuff.

<em>It's easy to forget that once upon a time we didn't know

all this stuff. --Lex Jenkins<br>

</em><br>

Lex, Ill bet you can pickup most any camera up to the mid

80s and start using it with skill in minutes without ever

looking at a manual, some of the later stuff too. Most of this

stuff can be figured out the same way a ferret can get in and out

of most anything. Then again when I got my Nikkormat FTn I might

have been the dumbest ferret on the block, I dont remember.<br>

<br>

I do remember the first roll of film I developed. The instructor

didnt tell us to tap the tank to dislodge bubbles (or else