No Words - Classic Cars

Sanford

Sheldon - I don't know if it's too late to get tickets. I know they must be purchased in advance for $100.00. You can call them at: 831-622-1700. There is much free stuff to see with events all over the area. There is rally all day Thursday that circles a large part of the county and stops for several hours in Carmel where you can look ar hundreds of cars up close and talk to the owners. (you will appreciate smog control when this bunch of smoke billowing Rolls Royces, Jags, Mercedes' and Bugatti's roll into town). You can pay the $8.50 Pebble Beach gate fee (or B.S. your way in) and look at vehicles for sale in the Black Hawk tent. Based on a few published photos in local travel magazines I was able to secure a press pass for myself and will enjoy total access this year, including the Sunday judging.

heck, don't mess around with rich old farts who hire people to buff up these cars and ferry them around from concourse to concourse in vacuum sealed trucks. Come to Detroit for the ninth annual Dream Cruise next weekend. Two million people will line about 14 miles of Woodward Avenue all weekend to see rods, muscle, classics, bread vans, and everything in between roll down the street. Every car club will participate in local parking lots, festivals in many towns lining Woodward, mini car shows in between and lots of cars trading hands. It's truly a grassroots blast and it is an event that now has drawn international attention. Way more fun than seeing Ralph Lauren get another prize for some car he had someone else restore for about $2million.

"when this bunch of smoke billowing Rolls Royces, Jags, Mercedes' and Bugatti's roll into town). "

Only in America could restorers do that. I suppose something has to give with all that chrome polishing ;-)

But seriously, if anybody wants to see a total gross out of over restored cars (generally speaking, because a totally unrestored Alfa P3 won two, or was it three years ago?), along with their proud owners, this event is second to none.

There's another concours d'elegance on the West Coast in 35 days, at Ocean Trails Golf Club on the Palos Verdes Peninsula. On September 14th, the organizers present the Acura Palos Verdes Concours d'Elegance, featuring 200 of the finest in classic and special interest automobiles. You can learn more by pointing your browser to http://www.pvconcours.com. Best part is the beautiful venue, the many exhibits and $25 admission, 1/4 of the price of Pebble Beach!

Classic Cars. A breed apart from the mundane Chevrolets 55-56-57 Fords Fairlane so on and so forth. Built between 1925-1948 with low production numbers, fine design and superior workmanship. Hot rods, Cobra and Auburn replicas don't apply. You have to be invited to Pebble Beach in order to show your classic. In the local newspaper Sunday mornings, you could see VW, Mustangs, advertised as classics. Hello???!!!

Sanford, which classic marque will be the prominent one invited this year?

Jaguar E type with the problematic Lucas electrical system. Nice picture though.

Tito - I think after reading what you wrote you might be amused to learn the featured cars is......FORD!!! This is because of their 100th birthday. I guess when they realized what they had done they made Bugatti a co-featured car just to keep things legit. I expect to see lots of Cobras, GT's, Mustangs, and Model T's & A's. I'll post a few shots next week.

Sanford, thanks for your reply. Since the Bugattis will be on display, please, take some pictures of the 1927 Bugatti Royale, since there were only six built. By my last count, 4 are in this country (Henry Ford Museum, Jerry Moore, Briggs Cunningham Museum and Harrah's Museum). After the Harrah's museum partial liquidation, they sold the car. I do not know of its whereabouts. The last transaction price that I know of, was for the Berline de Voyage body, bought by Mr. Jerry Moore (Texas) in the 80's, for 6.5 million. The 2 remaining Buggatis are in the Schlumpf Museum in France, nationalized by the French governmemt as the Musee Nationale de l'Automobile.

Please, take your telephoto lens and show us a picture of the ungracefull elephant radiator ornament, that graces a beautiful expensive car. To this day, nobody knows why Ettore Buggati did this!!!

Tito, i know for a fact is a Royal in the Auto & Technik Musuem in Sinsheim (Germany). I saw it last december, and as far as i could tell it seemed like a regular part of their exhibit... so one of the 4 you thought were in the US is in Germany... just a minor correction, and without a doubt your recommendation for Sanford to take a good picture of this rare beauty. And the reason Ettore Bugatti did it is simple, "because he could". Ettore Bugatti was no business man, he was an artist that happened to make (often semi-functional at getting from A to B) car sculptures.