Kodak 400 HD ... Do you rate@400ISO ?

I don't think that rerating color negative film less than a full stop is worth the effort. Last week I shot a roll of Kodak Gold 100, duplicating some shots while varying between EI 100 and 50. I could hardly see the difference in either the prints or negatives. In a couple of cases the rerated negatives scanned a bit better, holding both highlight and shadow areas better.

Try bracketing in full stops, at 400 and 200, then write back with your opinions. Might be interesting to compare results.

in USA HD is 400

in France HD 135 is 200

in France HD APS is 100

It's the SAME emulsion !!!!

When you increase ISO you increase the grain too.

With color negatives with a 400 you can shoot from 50 to 800 with no problems.

and with a BW (chromgenic or classic) ???

try it, with C41 or a good classic dev !

Pascal, ISO film speed ratings are not just random numbers given by the manufacturer. There is a certain procedure for determining the film speed and that's that.

I would heartily recommend you to shoot some of that APS HD100 stuff, expose it at iso 400 and scan the results. Oh, clear film? Such a surprise.

Why is HD 400 so much worse than Portra 400UC?

Is it poor quality-control during manufacturing?

If so, I'd be careful to make generalizations about how to rate it.

Some rolls might be faster than others.

My non-statistically-significant test of HD400 showed

it to have about one stop less shadow speed than 400UC.

<i> My non-statistically-significant test of HD400 showed it to have about one stop less shadow speed than 400UC.</i>

<p>I'm currently doing a statistically-insignificant test of 400UC, having done a corresponding statistically-insignificant test of HD400 earlier this year. Based on scanning both films, I'm finding that 400UC really does handle shadows better then HD400. There's clearly less grain and more detail in underexposed shadow areas. Other than that, the grain doesn't seem noticeably finer overall (HD400 is pretty fine) and the troublesome blue sky doesn't show any less grain/noise.

<p>From what I've seen so far, 400UC is a very good film, possibly the best ISO 400 color negative film out there. But if I were on the road and ran out of 400UC, I'd have little hesitation about stopping at a supermarket and picking up some HD400.