USPS - Do not let this happen to you

bruce_rathbun

The only time anything photographic has ever disappeared in shipment to me it was USPS. No clear explanation from them on what had happened to it. They claimed they had tried to deliver it but they didn't and could never explain what happened to it. It was insured and I got a check from them for the full value of what they lost. Maybe I'm living a charmed life, but I have never, ever, had the slightest problem with UPS.

Bruce, please let us know when your package arrives (which it probably will). I am surprised that you would post this problem on the web before giving the post office a few extra days to deliver the package. Still, things could be worse. You know, people are dying in African civil wars and in the Mideast under American occupation, etc. Bruce, given all our amazing wealth and privilege, to enjoy life (albeit life with the post office) is really not such a bad idea.

Those who are old enough to remember, I refer to the old Samsonite luggage commercial; the one with the gorilla trying to smash the suitcase. (You younger types will have to wait for one of those "Best TV Commercials" shows.) What you may not realize on viewing that commercial, is that there were more than one of those gorillas, and since being laid off by Samsonite they have found employment at UPS, USPS and FedEx...<P>

When using USPS, delivery confirmation is cheap enough as is a return receipt, both of which might gain you a bit of preferential handling. Another possibility is to use priority mail. A ten pound package only costs about a dollar more (coast to coast) sent that way vs. parcel post.

If you ship USPS Priority Mail (2-3 days service) you can purchase Tracking. If you print the Priority Mail label on your computer printer using the USPS web site, the Tracking is free.

However the Tracking does not track anything other than the receipt of the package by USPS and the delivery (not intermediate tracking events like FedEx).

All is well that ends well- The camera did show up. The package

was over four days late. The even better news is that there was

no damage. This was a lesson for me. My main point in this post

was to vent over the lack of customer service at the post office.

No one at the counter explained the tracking charge(or lack

of).This was the third and final time I will use this branch office.

There is a local branch less then a mile from my house. I am

sure that these people would have told me the best way to

ship.<p>The only down side is that the camera will not make it

back to my by the 4th of July road trip. Not to worry. I still have my

8x10. Thanks to all. I learned some valuable tips. -Bruce

S.K. Grimes knew how to ship and more importantly, how to package. As he used to say, "UPS won't pay for improperly packaged items damaged in shipping and properly packaged items don't get damaged". You should be able to toss your package a good distance without any concern for damage. His page of shipping tips:

http://www.skgrimes.com/stps/index.htm

Forty cents or so gets you delivery confirmation from USPS and you usually get that if you ask for tracking. Be aware of insurance when shipping outside the US. I was once told that the insurance is only good in the US. Once it's outside the country I don't think they pay for loss but I won't ship anything outside the US with any other service due to the mounds of paperwork required.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
We use UPS for domestic. In 3-4 years there has never been a lost package. During that time we have shipped about 800-1000. USPS is a problem waiting to happen. Fedex ground are franchises and most of them don't give a damn. They leave thousands of dollars of equipment lying on the streets of Manhattan, which is full of thieves and homeless people. DHL is OK.