WEST COAST IDEA(S)?

mike_kowal

Very briefly, I'm heading to the west coast (California) to do a shoot and plan on staying there an extra week or so during the 2nd/3rd weeks of June. Anyone have an opinion to throw out as to what would be good to shoot (NO SECRET SPOTS)...thinking about Redwood and/or Sequoia Nat'l Forests, Death Valley, and or seals/otters in Monterey??? Are any of these worthwhile at this time of year /which one(s) moreso? Just curious! Thanks everyone!!!

California is one great big photo oportunity! The areas that you mention are a fair distance from each other and if your time is limited, travel could take up a great deal of your time. If you have a particular area in which you are to be based, there are a number of people who will be reading your post who could offer you some specifics.

Yeah, that is a lot of ground to cover in one week...you could probably do it, but it might not be much fun. You may kill two birds with one stone if you hang around Monterey and catch both the sea mammals and some of the coastal redwood forests around Big Sur and further north towards Half Moon Bay. Have fun, bring lots of film.

Well, to answer your question (I know, and apologize for being vague, initially), I have an assignment to shoot at LAX and am thereafter heading to a show in Anaheim for a two-day stint,...after that, I wanted to head north along the coast and concentrate on building my stock of nature/wildlife, shooting from, say Monterey northward (don't really want to head farther than Redwood National Forest), but am really open to anything (I've been researching this myself, but have come up with an EXTREME amount of ideas) and since I really have NO good conceptual grasp on the outdoors in California, I'm relying on some opinions. Thanks again everyone!

Mike,

To "shoot California" in a week is like shooting all the portraits in New York City in a day. May I suggest that you chose your favorite subject and stick with that. If you do plan on Death Valley, it will be over 100 degrees in June. If mountains are your thing don't miss

Yosemite, go over Tioga Pass (to the east)to Mono Lake(early morn' is best)then go north toward Bridgeport. Just before Bridgeport turn right to Bodie (ghost town)Then go to Twin Lakes (Bridgeport)South about 100 miles is the Owens Valley,the Deepest Valley, With the floor at 4000 ft it is still 10,000 ft deep. All roads east or west will take you to a picture. Mammoth Mountain will still have skiing until July. If you go further south, Bishop (my home)Big Pine,Independence,

and Lone Pine(Go west from here to the Mt. Whitney Trail-head or east to Death Valley 130 miles.)A week won't be enough for this the Eastern Sierras. Good Luck, Have Fun. E-mail me if you have questions.

Gary

If you're heading north from L.A. I'd suggest Sequoia/King's Canyon, or the Redwood National Forest. Sequoia/King's Canyon is a half-day drive from L.A. The Redwood National Forest is a two-day drive. Death Valley is easy to reach from L.A., but no sane person would voluntarily go there in June.

<p>

If you want to travel up Highway 1 be sure you check with Caltrans for road conditions before leaving. Highway 1 was closed around Big Sur for several months, and there was another mud slide yesterday. You may have to detour up 101 if you go to the Redwood National Forest.

<p>

Whatever you do, you won't have time to enjoy two of these three places in oneweek, much less all of them. This is a long state, so pick a destination and stay put. Death Valley is a two-day drive from Redwood National Forest.

If I had just one week to shoot in California, it would be spent in Yosemite. The waterfalls will be at their peak in June, thanks to the recent El Nino storm conditions. And, by all means, take a drive over the Tioga Pass...if it's open.

<p>

I travel up the coast (from LA) several times a year to visit my family in Monterey. Very scenic, but very touristy...and not a whole lot of wildlife. Sea Otters can be photographed easily anywhere along the coast from Cambria to Big Sur....I should say as long as you can find a way down to the beach.

<p>

You could drive up the coast then head inland to Yosemite, but you'll be spending a lot of time in the car. If you could fly home from San Francisco instead of LA, you'd save yourself a lot of time.

Plan you travel routes well:

<UL>

<LI>LA to Redwood NP, along the coast is two days of driving.

<LI>Hightway 1 thru Big Sur has been closed since early February.

<LI>Hightway 120, eastern access to Yosemite NP, will be still be closed for several weeks due to unusually heavy snow.

</UL>

I suggest, as others have, that you stay "put" for several days at one location to maximize your photographic efforts. If you've never been there, Yosemite NP is a "must".

<BR>

-Dave