a Hassy 500c at the beach

avellan

Hello all,

Searched the threads and can't find the answer I am looking for. Very simply, doing a

beach shoot of models and want to use my Hassy, but I am concerned about the sea

air affecting the mechanisms of my old camera. Am I being overly cautious or is

there a legitimate concern? Outside of the obvious which is don't get it wet will the

salt in the air damage my camera? Thank you.

I've taken my cameras out to the beach for a couple of shoots lately and the sea air really isn't a hazard so much as the sand.<br>

I managed to get just one grain of sand into the lens of my camera and it locked up the focus. ERgh! When I managed to free up the focus, the lens had a grinding feel to it when I would turn the focus ring. Oh man, it was heart wrenching.<br>

So, you'll want to try to wrap parts of the camera in plastic and also make sure to keep the camera on a strap so it doesn't come in contact with the sand.<br>

Also watch out for the film advance crank too.

Ivan

I have had similar experiences as the post above. I was using my Hassy 500 CM at Monahans Sand Dunes, Monahans, TX. No ocean so I can't comment on the salt, but despite best efforts to prevent sand in the body, I've got it. I can still tell which body I used at the site, as I still get sand grains out of it from time to time. This is even after blowing it out with compressed air. This indicates to me that compressed air even when used correctly will still drive sand grains further into the body.

Didn't think about that sand problem. Definitely will wrap it up in plastic. But about

the lens, I'm sure you had a UV filter over the lens and it still got in? Also did you both

have to take in to a technician to clean it and were they successful or not judging by

Hueys response? Don't really want to but now I really think I should shoot in 35mm,

this has freaked me out. Let me know please that it will be alright and can be fixed if

sand gets in.

Been there - done that [Great Sand Dunes Natl. Monument]. Had to send system to Hassy to clean because I couldn't stand the sound and feel of that grit in the focus threads and wondering what it was doing to the body. I'd choose something else that is tighter!

Ivan and Kevin, et al...

Sand can get into the focus 2 different ways and a filter won't stop it at all! The filter

protects the front element and nothing else. The focus ring... ahhhh... both the front

and the back of the focus ring let sand in. When mounted on a body the front of the

focus ring is the main culprit. One grain can cause real problems. Many cameras with

larger manufacturing tolerances can tolerate some sand but Hassy focus helicals are

very tightly fit and one grain will eat the brass alive! Especially since the helicals are

greasy to begin with.

One useful point... this is not true of all lenses but true for many so on balance it

would be a good idea to keep your lenses focused on infinity (shortest barrel length)

when not shooting. This keeps the greasy helicals mostly covered up. By extending

the barrel you expose LOTS of greasy brass to the elements. Sand gets on them and

then when you focus back down to infinity... yikes! $$$ This is a real thing!!

As far as salt air is concerned... I wouldn't worry at all about intermittant exposure.

Salt water is another issue. $$$ Humidity and sudden temp changes in concert with

each other can be a condensation problem. It's really long term exposure to humidity

and secondarily to salt air that causes problems. Florida shooters will concur. Fungus

is the most immediate danger there.

Good luck!

Peter Rosenthal - PR Camera Repair - Flagstaff, AZ

I have taken various cameras to the beach for a long time. Solution is mostly common sense precautions. So far, I have had no real problems, FWIW.

Blads are rugged and this applies at the beach as much as anywhere. One time exposure can't be serious, but wipe the camera down.

Prolonged exposure to salt or humidity is another matter...it might affect the chrome trim on bodies and backs, if not the mechanics. Fungus is the main bugbear in humid climes, as Peter said, but not only in Florida, as some people do not live in the USA.

There is a potential problem with sand, as it is very insistent on getting onto things. Peter is exactly right in the focus barrel being the most likely (only?) entry point, if the lens and back are not removed from the camera.

If there is a strong wind and it is dry, then you may get a lot of blowing sand (especially off the peak of dunes). Be aware of other things, like putting a camera bag down, opening the lid which hits the sand, then flipping a bit of sand when the lid is flipped back. Minimising lens and back changes and close focussing must help.

Here the nor' easterly sea breeze is always strongest on a bright, hot afternoon. Not the best conditions for photography. Stormy conditions do not move the sand as much if it is wet, but there is a lot of moisture in the air.

If there is wind off the sea, especially with a big surf, be aware if the filter is being progressively covered in a very thin coat of salty moisture, if you point the camera to the sea. Won't happen every day, but hard to clean without some fresh water as the salt smears.

The corrosivity of sea water is much more than fresh. Salt water immersion is a disaster if it gets into camera...I have heard the solution is to immerse the camera in a bucket of fresh water until it can be completely cleaned as immersion will prevent corrosion until drying and cleaning.

What do others think? I immersed some Bronica gear in a freshwater river years ago when a canoe overturned at night (long story!). Was fixed but never quite the same.

The problem with salt spray can be ascertained by parking next to the beach you intend to photograph and observing for a while what collects on your windshield. A fine mist of salt water may be created if the surf is very active and if the wind is blowing it toward the beach. You should be able to stay out of harm's way by using one of those commercially produced rain covers. Change lenses or backs in a bathroom or in your car. Keep the camera up on a tripod. My attitude toward equipment is a bit different. I have used my Pentax 645 on the beach constantly under the worst conditions since 1990. It looks like it too, but still works fine.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and experiences. I guess it hasn't

stopped you all from shooting at the beach so I won't let it stop me. Just have to be

really careful and use common sense. Most importantly I see if something happens it

can be fixed, although I don't know about dipping it in freshwater, waiting to see

other responses to that. Definitely will wrap it in plastic and keep the lens on infinity

at every moment when necessary. Thanks again.

Ivan