I try to focus - I can turn it either way a tiny amount without it

actually focusing the lens. Also, the zoom ring feels like it's

filled with sand when I turn it. I can't believe that the seller

called this "smooth" when I asked him! Am I right in assuming that

these problems are not related to the construction of this lens in

general? I don't think I'd have a problem returning it, but I don't

want to buy another one and find out that all of these lenses are like

this.

I own and really like the 35-70 mm zoom f4.0. When I limit myself to just one lens, it has become my lens of choice. Mine is very smooth without any noticable slop, and delivers good results. I think you should try to return it. While I have received some good things via ebay, I am coming to the opinion that many of the sellers are lying crooks. I have dealt with bhphotovideo.com, keh.com, kcamera.com, and pacific rim. You might pay a little more, but their discriptions of products are pretty accurate, and they have return policy if you are dissatisfied.

Sounds like you bought this from a broker, or 'trading assistant', basically a guy who earns or supplements his income by selling stuff consigned to him. Usually they don't have a clue about what they're selling, but they sell a lot of stuff. They'll probably take it back, because they can't afford to damage their reputation.

I don't like the site, because it's a zoo, populated by weirdasses and trashballs, but out of about 30 transactions I've only had one item that was misrepresented (shallow dent in an F-1 finder that the seller didn't tell me about, but still a good buy.) I've done a lot worse with mail-order dealers over the years.

Chris,

The zoom mechanisms have plastic or rubber pads and bushings that deteriorate with age, heat, and lubricant residue. When they disintegrate or turn to goo, the zoom and focus mechanisms become very loose, rattle, bind, grate . . . and there you are.

In proper condition, the lens should be as smooth and tight as any FD lens.

The pads are no longer available from Canon. I'd return the lens forthwith.

Hi, Chris!<P>

The lens you purchased definitely sounds like it's got issues. I've got a copy of this lens (trying to sell it, by the way; go <B><A HREF="http://www.alltel.net/~timfitz/for_sale_pn.html">H E R E</A></B> to check it out), and it's got no such problems. Zoom and focus actions truly are smooth, without binding, a "gritty" feel, or free-play.<P>

While I've had reasonable luck buying from eBay, on the whole I have to admit to being less than impressed with the majority of equipment that is available. Just from a purely logical standpoint, I have a difficult time believing that there is so much consumer-grade Canon camera equipment in "mint" condition out there, but it seems like that's the condition that 90% or more of the sellers claim. The ones that floor me are statements like, "Mint condition, except is has some brassing around the edges and scuffs on the baseplate..." or "Mint, except the mirror is stuck in the up position." To me, "mint" means that someone bought the thing new, maybe only took it out of the box to see if it worked properly, then put it back into the original box and stored it for 20 years. <U>It's factory perfect</U>. Maybe I'm just funny that way...? OK, end of my digression...