New Carbon Fiber tripods for hiking/traveling

joseph_albert

Gitzo just released two new carbon fiber tripods. These are Gitzo

Series 1 tripods, eg narrower tubing than Series 1 such as the

G1227/1228. As a result, they weigh less than 2.75 lbs (the only

weight info Gitzo has released so far). B&H prices are $480 for the

3-leg-section version and $500 for the 4-leg section one, rounded off

to the nearest dollar. The new model numbers are G1127 and G1128.

I was looking for a light, but stable, hiking tripod that I could strap to my backpack. I hesitated between the 1127 and the 1228.

Strange you may think, because they are from different series and one is a three leg, the other four. The differences in features such as max height (6 cm), max support (1 kg), folded lenght (6cm) are minor though (in the 'advantage' of the 1228). BUT, I believe the 1127 is sturdier than the 1228, smaller than the 1227, and only has 6 twist locks. These 'new' locks are larger than before and work substantially better. It also offers a hook on which I hang my backpack to increase stability. On top of that, it is cheaper!

My current experience is OK. I use it combination with an Eos3 and 70-200/2.8 or 100-400 IS lenses (+ 1.4 TC). The maximum weight of these combo's is about 3 kg. So far so good... It's light, sturdy enough and easy to handle with a Manfrotto 468RC ballhead.

Sorry to have posted this to the generic equipment category-- I didn't notice the tripod category in the list because it was filed under "T", and no in the severla lists of specific equipment that start with "E" for equipment.

<p>

Perhaps it should be moved to the "Tripod" section, and perhaps that section should be called "Equipment - Tripods to conform to the other specific equipment listings.

I bought the 1128 about 2 months ago. I use it with the G1275M head, which weighs only about 650g - so is a good choice if you want to keep weight down (it's magnesium).

I don't really take much nature stuff, I was using the tripod on a 3 week trip around South East Asia (Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong). I usually wander 'round with a light backpack (it's a Timberland non-photo bag, with some padding inside that I took from a LowePro backpack). I took an RZ67II and a Fuji GW670III, and I would carry one of these. Fuji + backpack + tripod + accessories all come in at around 5kg, which is very portable. The RZ only adds an extra kg. The ability to keep a tripod inside a non-photo bag is great for security - you're not a big theft target.

The tripod was fantastic for my application, as it's very small and light, and fit easily inside my backpack (with the head removed). I haven't used Gitzo before, and I did find 9 sets of leg locks a pain to use, although I didn't always extend the lowest leg section. The tripod seemed plenty stable enough when used with MLU/cable release, and a bag on the hook to weigh it down a little. Both the tripod and head are strong enough for an RZ - I think they're rated at 5kg.

The Gitzo head is growing on me. I thought I'd hate it, but I bought it primarily because it was light. The off centre ball works fine though, it's pretty smooth, and the lack of quick release doesn't bother me as much as I thought. Using the off centre ball, it's possible to turn the head on it's side, and this makes it very easy to remove the camera. This head wouldn't suit for a lot of nature work, since it's unstable when it's not tightened - but it's fine to set up, and lock down.

I think this tripod works well for the use I put it to - and would be fantastic for the hiking landscape photographer. It's sturdy and well damped, but I liked to give it a few seconds to settle before taking a picture, because it doesn't have the mass to really damp a heavy camera. I wouldn't use one to shoot animals with a long lens, for this reason. Recommended.

I'm glad that I'm reading this thread now as I'm about to invest in the Slik carbon tripod. I've looked and tried the Slik, Bogen and the original Gitzo and had almost decided on the Slik. Although Slik is the least stable, its ligther weight and size for ease of travel win me over. With the new Gitzo, I will definately hold back my buying until I've tried it.

<br>

I've tried searching the Gitzo and B&H site but there's no mention of its fold size. For those who have the new Gitzo, can you kindly post the info.

<br>

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Really? The G1128 I have in front of me has variable leg spread (2 positions). The centre column is fairly long though, so you can't really get much closer to the ground. Also since the legs are quite thin, I don't think you gain much stability using the wider leg setting.

<p>

I found a Gitzo advert with some more details in:

<p><pre>

G1128 4 leg 1150g 457mm folded 0.3m - 1.36m extended

G1127 3 leg 1265g 571mm folded 0.3m - 1.48m extended

</pre>

Both support up to 4.5kg.

Before you plunk your money down on one of these super lightweight wonderpods and helium filled tripod heads, put your camera on it and photograph at the slower shutter speeds. Nice as they sound, saving weight only to end up with unsharp images is foolish at best. Some of the really lightweight combinations will not hold a 35mm camera steady at all shutter speeds. Leaning a camera bag against a leg can help absorb some vibration and maybe add some rigidity. But, if you want it to be solid you are going to have to carry a bit more weight at times. This becomes even more important as you extend the legs on the tripod. You need enough weight or mass to keep the camera solid as you photograph, from light breezes to odd angles you are forced to set up on hillsides.

• 1 month later...

I am in the same boat, trying to figure out which one suits me best. I anticiapte adding medium format to my bag, so I am leaning towards the larger 1228. I am, however, going to go searching for the 1127 (3-piece, smaller) to see if the trade to a 3-piece (smaller legs) is better than the 4-piece (larger legs, smaller compactness when collapsed) in terms of stability.

I usually take exposures more than 1 second, so I need the stability! Man, what a tradeoff between weight, compactness, and ability to trek anywhere.

Andy

Which ever you decide on make sure you check out Robert White on prices before you buy. I got my G1227Mk2 from them for $400, including 2 day shipping. I love B&H and buy 99% of my gear and film from them. But with exchange rates the way they are (about $1.50 to the pound), Robert White has the best deal on Gitzo CF prices. They are selling the 1127 for about $290. Check them out here: http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/index.htm

Andy, I've used the Bogen 441 with a Pentax 67 and did OK with lenses up to the 165/2.8. However, I found that I need to hang my backpack on it for ballast to get the best results. I do this by attaching a carabiner to the carrying strap ring and make really sure the whole rig won't topple. For 35mm, no problems with up to 400/5.6 lens on an EOS 3. I don't feel a need to move up to a heavier duty Gitzo (I like the leg setup on the Bogen better) but I guess if I had it to do over again, I might think about a 12xx or 13xx Gitzo if I could find a good price on one.