The Camera you wish you would have bought

abbie_benson

None. Not kidding. There are cameras I'd like to buy (D100), there are definitely lenses I'd like to buy (18-35), there are very definitely lenses or cameras that I'd like to have but can't really justify (F5 and 85/1.4 as examples), but I can't really remember being in a situation where I thought "I wish I had bought this or that camera". At worst, I sometimes wish I had bought a used 75-300 instead of my 70-300G (already have the ultra-light 80-200 for backpacking), but I may very well correct that soon.

I'm thinking about buying an Epson 2200, but I'm afraid I may end up wishing I had bought a 7600. I wouldn't mind a dedicated 35mm scanner (my 3200 does great MF and LF scans, but a Minolta 5400 should make a visible difference for 35mm)

SLRs? None. I bought a good used chrome F with a plain prism back in '72, and just didn't need anything else. OTOH, I lusted after the then-new Minolta Autocord CDSIII TLR. It probably combined a great lens, solid body, and good meter, in one camera- but then, I'll never know- I couldn't afford one then, and they're pretty rare today.

Just SLRs?

I'm satisfied with my current F3HP and FM2N and handful of good Nikkors, tho' I'd need to either buy an older body to try some pre-AI Nikkors I'm curious about or have them AI'd. Buying an older body might be more cost effective. But I can't think of much reason to want another 35mm SLR system. I've already been through the Miranda, Pentax (screw and K-mount), Canon FD, Minolta, Olympus and, now, Nikon manual focus gear.

If I were going to "upgrade" my Nikons it'd be for an F100 just to have access to more sophisticated flash and bracketing options. Bracketing with the F3 is a primitive PITA.

In medium format I've long liked the Pentax 6x7 or 67 SLR system. While that might seem contradictory, given my complaint about camera weight, the Pentax 6x7/67 body is comparable in heft to an F3HP with MD-4. I'd want the model with mirror lockup, tho'.

Much as I enjoy my Rollei TLR it has certain limitations, particularly in low light. As I'm doing more nighttime and fine art photography it would be handy to have a more flexible system. Perhaps a brighter Beattie or Maxwell screen would alleviate some of my concerns about the Rollei TLR, tho'.

For some reason the Hasselblad 5xx system doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps I've read too many reports about their occasional quirks - various jams and the acrobatics required for field fixes - that I've been put off the system.

I might be more inclined toward a Rollei SLR than Hasselblad simply because I'm confident the lenses are just as good and I've read fewer reports of problems associated with the later model Rolleis.

If I could be persuaded that reports of Hasselblad hassles are exaggerated I might change my mind, tho'. I would rather stick with 6x6.

Josh thinks I'm nuts (my words), but I'm enjoying going backwards. I always wanted a Nikon F2AS when I was starting out, but couldn't justify it then. Later, I wanted an F3, but by then I was in college heading for a non-photo related career.

Now the price on these old used tanks has dropped (and my income has risen). I enjoy shooting with them.

I sometimes regret the Nikon SP rangefinder outfit with three lenses that I shot with for nine months and then sold. I just couldn't find 'the groove' with that setup; I bought it for $750, sold it for $1,100, I would guess it's worth about $2,500 today. If you want the 'thread that never ends', ask "What equipment do you regret selling?"

Josh,

I should have said "Hasselblad Chrome." I don't know why exactly...it is just classically beautiful to me. I speaking here of visual beauty. I had an old Hasselblad in the 1980's, but it had too many problems.

I've had a couple of Leica M cameras, but just can't get used to a rangefinder.

A Canon 1N would do nicely, however, I'm getting very interested in digital, and there are a few nice items in that category...they just change too fast!

Before I went to college I wanted to get my own 35mm. I had been raised on my dad's and grand's Leicas. But I knew I'd never be able to afford them from my summer and weekend job. The local camera shop had a really clean Nikkormat and 50mm f/2 lens, and it was in my price range, so it was mine. But, they had a brand new Contax RTS with winder and 50mm Zeiss Planar lens on the top shelf of the display. Lens hood, strap and what a "jem". What a magnificent camera, and I wanted it.

But she was way out of my price range. But I still remember her, Porsche designed and powered with those great Zeiss lens.

"I'm thinking about buying an Epson 2200,"

With the Epson experience that I've had, I would think carefully before buying a 2200.

It's not as though it isn't a good printer, but It may suffer from the same problems

that plague other Epson models. They are really good as long as you are using them a

LOT, and they're not a good choice for folks that don't use them a lot. The culprit is

that the print heads are not in the ink tank like HP, etc., but are a separate item. So

when you replace the ink tanks, you still have the same old print heads, and they are

prone to plug up if not in use on a regular basis. Print heads for the Epson 900 were

over $150.00 to replace depending on which particular heads were in it, and could

run up to $250.00 to replace. The more you use them the better they are, and vice

versa. Maybe if I printed more it would have been better, but I'm picky about what I

print. Everything I shoot isn't worth printing.

For Abbie, I've wanted every high end Nikon ever produced, but was always put off by

other priorities. This includes rangefinders to the latest SLR's. Once I sold my Minolta

system to one of my brothers-in-law, I picked up a used N2020, and then it was not

long before I had to have an F100, the F5 still being a little more money than I wanted

to spend. But, now I am wondering if the DSLR's that might tempt me will ever drop in

price enough for me to buy one. For the money, I would buy an F5 over a D100 in a

heartbeat. If they can produce a DSLR of the quality and price of the F100, then I'm

interested.

When I was getting into photography in the late 1950s I thought the Nikon SP rangefinder was the coolest looking camera on the planet. There was no way I could afford one back then (I was a high school student). I could buy one now if I really wanted to, but I refuse to invest that much money in a camera when there less expensive alternatives that produce excellent photographs. I'm a user, not a collector.

"When I was getting into photography in the late 1950s I thought the Nikon SP

rangefinder was the coolest looking camera on the planet."

Oh yeah. I remember walking into stores in Japan in 1957-58, and seeing the Nikon

and Canon rangefinders with those HUGE fast primes on them. Like nothing I had

ever seen, but on a salary of less than $100.00 a month too high priced for me. So, I

bought a Taron 35, a package of filters, and an external fan flash unit, for $26.00,

brand new. Got some OK pics from that outfit, and sold the whole thing in Australia

for $75.00 in 1958. One of the more popular 35's in Japan back then was the Petri.

Most everyone I've known has started out with pretty modest gear, but if I had to do it all over again, I would've bought an F4 instead of going through different mid-priced camera bodies every 3 to 4 years. Had I saved up and splurged for the F4 back then, I probably would still be satisfied with it even to this day.

Aside from that, I would love to have a Leica with the 50mm f/1 Noctilux for as a lightweight option for quick, candid photography.

Years ago I wanted an autofocus camera so I bought a Nikon N6006 with the inexpensive 28-80 and 80-200 D series zooms... fine camera, no complaints and the lenses were okay if not spectacular...

But that same day in the shop they had an absolutely beautiful used black F2AS without a scratch on it, everything in working order, like new really, for $500 and I pondered and pondered and decided not to buy it.

Sigh.

That's definitely "one I wish I had bought."

A slight twist on the theme. I have often considered trading in my Black F2AS but

could never bring myself to actually do it. It typically sits in a drawer with the meter

batteries removed. Until this week that is. I'll be travelling the next two weeks and

cannot carry much gear. I looked at my F5 and 24-120 zoom and simply discounted

them as too much to carry on this occasion. So I dusted off the F2 I never sold and

tried a number of AF lenses. I didn't get a good feeling so I went down the street to

Camera Co-op (Houston) and came away with a very reasonably priced 28mm f2.8

AIS (one of Nikon's best lenses).

So now the F2AS plus lens is the "Camera I am glad I never sold!" It's going to be

interesting to see the results after about four years of F5 photography.

A very nice thread, no fighting only adualts for a change.

Well, I once went into the local shoppe and saw a Hasselblad, what a work of art it was. Black and Chrome with a wonderful chrome lens. Waist level finder and lens hood all for one money. Boy did I like it. But of course it was way out of my price range. And I've been happy with my F2AS. An equally great camera.

Then A few years ago I was in the shoppe again and saw a yellow Hasselblad trimmed out in chrome with a black lens. A special order one I believe. Let me tell you, that got my ol heart beating. Boys, now that's a classic

Hi Abbie,

I have been interested to buy Leica M7 with 35/1.4 & 75/1.4. But they are very expensive.

In terms of MF I would love to have a Rollei 6008 with Schneider glasses 40mm Super angulon, 80mm Xenotar and 180mm Tele-Xenar.

Obviously been a non-professional photographer there is no legitimate reason for that much camera gear. But certainly I would not mind having them.

When I first starting photography I really wanted a Pentax Spotmatic, which is what my best friend owned. I was only able to afford a cheaper Mamiya/Sekor model, which actually in retrospect was a perfectly good camera, but at the time it's not what I "really" wanted.

Then my father brought me my first Nikon F from Japan, but it had no metering prism until I bought one for myself in 1973, right before the F2 came out.

Some years later I really wanted an F3 but bought an FE2 instead. I just wanted the solidity and "feel" of the professional model.

Yes, and when I was younger I did covet a Hasselblad, I confess.

An Olympus OM-1, for its off-the-film meter, and sharp Zuiko lenses.

A Nikon F2AS, for its sturdy build.

A Linhof Technikardan 4x5 because its rewarding having to work for your image (you ain't really worked to capture an image until you've used LF gear). And nothing else is quite like film taken in Large Format cameras.