Film leader, CF functions, Elan IIe (cont thread) - esp Frank LaFleur or Bob Atkins

asimh

Well, I was having problems with setting the CF to leave a leader out so i could swap films midroll. Several posters on that thread stated that one needed to be in creative zones to have it work. I couldn't remember which one i was in so will have to test again.

However, Frank's post was "You must also remember the little IR sensor in the upper right area next to the shutter curtain. If your film initially covers this sensor when you load it the leader will not be left out when you rewind it (this sensor measures the sprocket holes on the film)."

I am confused by this answer. If you look at the picture of the open camera down about halfway down at http://www.eosdoc.com/manuals.asp?q=ElanII you see the IR counter. However, in the instruction manual, it says to load film with the free end going past this to the curved portion on the right. Doesn't the statement above contradict this? Or am i missing something.

Basically, i dont want to have this process screwed up again the next time, whether it is by me or the camera.

Thanks.

- asim

Make sure the leader ends right before the IR sensor box. Really, you can't go wrong. Even when I don't have the film loaded correctly (Elan IIe) and I close the back, the camera will make a noise and then flash the film icon. I open the back, and film is still unloaded. I reposition the leader, close the back, and all is well. Don't fret so much, just try it and do it.

The mid-roll rewind with leader out works in ANY creative zone.

You can just set CF to leave the film leader out when you're shooting the whole roll and see if it works (when the roll is finished) You don't need to change mid roll to test it.<br>

I don't pay any atention to the IR sensor when I load the film and still get the leader out (I set the CF to have it out and just left it set like that so I don't accidentaly rewind mid roll without the leader out...)<br>

Anyway, if you're using "normal" films and don't buy bulk and cut it yourself then you won't have any problem with IR sensor :) <br>

Regards