Is there a cure for Noctiluxosis?

Get both! Massive outlay of $$, but if you buy used I think your wallet will thank you. Bokeh and crispness on the 75 is natural, and DOF is slight wide open. Awesome performer and speed. The noctilux is the speed demon. I bought it at the 35/75 luxes mainly because of fascination. Give in to both! I think both are readily available used due to the usual reasons for them.

Go to the beach, out to dinner, or take the dog for a walk. Then reorganize your sock drawer. Take a nap. Read a book. Buy a new shirt. Pretty soon you'll wake up and it'll be another day, and you'll find you're still alive and haven't spent a wad of money. Repeat as necessary until the condition passes.

Charles,

Ask yourself (honestly) why you want/need the Noctilux. I did, and my only regret is the plethora of abuse I have suffered as a result. NOT from my wife, but from forum members. Here and other fora. If you post images, DON'T declare them as Noctilux pics. You will (by some) be ripped to shreds! But don't let that deter you IF you have a real use for the thumbprint of this lens. It does exactly what I imagined and I am ecstatic over the result, even if some are not.

As a result of my posts in the last 4 weeks I think the same number of photographers (that I know of) have committed to purchases of Noctilux based (partly) on what I have done with it.

Currently, another photographer has started posting on the Leica Forum with Noctilux pics. I hope he gets better treatment than I did, from the few idiots that pontificate for no reason.

BTW, keep the 50 cron. Noctilux does NOT replace it. It is limited in its area of use, but extends your capability extensively if you understand its true virtues.

Good luck

I am building a medieval restraining device (as seen on Monte Python).

I've got two 50/crons, one with tab (latest purchase). I'm guessing the non-tabbed one ought to go, but I hate to give up a lens, hence my dangerous thoughts.

I'm the one who had the 50/.095 that was refitted for M by Marty Forscher. Terrible lens, but... the need for speed. Its like owning a sports car that goes 185, even though you can only legally go 70 (here in Florida at least).

Ok... back to the rack....

>You will (by some) be ripped to shreds!

John, you don't know what "shreds" means until you post to the LUG! And the ones who do the "ripping" are usually the "regulars" with the sole right to post all sorts of OT garbage!

Take it easy - at least you haven't been called names like some of us have (though not from exactly the same source). 8-)

Since the time when the Noctilux was invented (and even reinvented, in f/1 iteration) improved film technology has bought us almost 3 stops, so what was then possible (in terms of handholding/shutter speeds) only with a Noct is now possible with an Elmar--and without all the vignetting, aberrations, focus sensitivity, finder blockage, weight, bulk, expense and razor-thin DOF . So while technically the Noct still has an advantage in obtaining some kind of an image in light levels too low for a Lux or a Cron, the Noct's utility has been pushed much further into the specialty-situation realm. I am in no way implying that it is not a tour-de-force lens, it is truly a remarkable optic. But if purchasers were brutally honest with themselves they'd have to admit that today it's more a matter of want than need. The Noct is more of a luxury than a necessity. But owning Leica gear is itself a luxury, so if it doesn't mean pillaging your kids' college fund, I don't see any reason to try and talk someone out of buying one. You can always sell it, because someone else will always be getting the lust. I bought a 75 Lux, hated its ergonomics, sold it, acquired selective amnesia and bought another one a couple years later, hated it again, and sold it. So I'm not one who has a right to call the pot black when it comes to lust-induced purchases. If your experience follows mine (with the 75) though, you may end up stopping the Noct down to get enough DOF to make a greater proportion of your shots work, whereupon you may either decide it isn't worth keeping it, or else just go into denial and claim every photo you make with it was shot wide open to justify keeping it. Life is short, if you want a Noct, get one, and don't make apologies or excuses for it. Even if you almost always shoot it at f/2.8 (as I ended up doing with the 75), it still looks more studly mounted on a Leica body than a puny little Cron. Nothing Freudian there, oh no.

Charles:

I doubt whether selling lens x to purchase lens y will get you over an irrepressible urge to buy lens z.

You may have noticed that I have recently cured my Noctilust by acquiring one. I don't regret it. I had read all the arguments about it, for and against, as I am sure you have. If you get a good one secondhand, you will find it easy to sell for the same price, or more. The market for them is very lively, for obvious reasons.

Jay, I think you really hit the nail on the head in your post. It is all about what you like, not what you truly need. That said, I think a nocti would be very cool. I wish I could mount one to my fd system. The main problem/advantage of the m system is that you have all this beautiful glass, but you never get to look through it. I would love to see how bright the viewfinder would be with a noctilux on my F1 and one of the bright laser matte screens...even with my 1.2L it is surreal. Anyway, all these lenses are about having fun. Having a lens that can take a picture at a good shutter speed in extremely low light is truly fun, even if it is not always the best shot you have ever taken.