Wanted: Velvia 100 (not the 100 f). Any resources?

I'm also looking for this film, but from what I understand you can only get it in Japan. And I've looked online for Japanese camera stores that may have a website (in English if possible). But from what Im told almost no stores in Japan will ship overseas, and if they by chance do- its super expensive. If anyone knows of a source, Id also like to know. Im not sure how long Velvia 50 will be around for at this time.

Maybe some time in the future major mail-order stores such as B&H will have grey-market Velvia 100 available. How is this film different from Velvia 100F anyway? I wonder why the 100 non-F is only available in Japan/Far East.

I have used a few rolls of 100F and find it similar to the original ISO 50 Velvia.

As I noted in <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-

msg?msg_id=005YJE">this thread</a>, Velvia 100 (not F) is new version of Velvia

that has only been released in Japan and possibly other parts of the "far east."

<p>

For those of you that have not heard of the film, it is supposedly similar to some of

the older, high silver versions of Kodachrome from the 1960's (ie ISO 12

Kodachrome). I have never even seen it.

Good reason to ask. Fuji seems to be pushing Velvia 100F but thus far, I have to see positive reports from those that have actually tried it. Let us hope that Fuji does not become mesmerized with finer grain and put all their bets on that, -forgetting that there is more to good color films than fine grain. I too would like to see Velvia 100 at least until Velvia 100F gets a clean bill of health which so far seems to be eluding it. Perhaps you posted this question for the same reasons?

Julio,

Yes, I have tried the 100f in LF shot it next to the 50... and I don't like it. too blue. I laughed when I came back from hiking in the Sierra Nevada. I had my KR3 filter 'stuck' to the lens half way through the trip, if I would have known of the blue shift, I don't think I would have worried so much about it! My opinion: more accurate color, yes. That warm fuzzy felling, no.

Sorry Fuji, the magic just isn't there.

To follow up... I am working on some Asian connections to locate the 100 sans f.

fingers crossed

<p>You can download a PDF file of the Velvia 100 datasheet from Fuji's Japanese website: <A HREF="http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/ppg/datasheet/163AR096A.pdf">VELVIA 100</A> Although it is in Japanese, there is enough English in it to understand a few things. It looks like the 100 version is only available in 135, 120, and 220, even in Japan, so I wouldn't expect to see it anywhere in sheets.</p>

<p>Also, if anyone needs a PDF for Velvia 100F that isn't yet available on the Fuji USA site, it is: <A HREF="http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/ppg/datasheet/163AR093A.pdf">VELVIA 100F</A> (also in Japanese.) Hopefully Fuji will get that one on their US site in English sometime soon. (How long has that film been out now?)</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Just to confirm what everyone on the other side of the ocean has noticed, yes Velvia

100 (non-F) is available here in Japan and as far as I can tell Velvia 100F isn't. I guess

the grass is always greener.

That being said I should say that I am just starting to shoot slide film so I don't have

years of experience with slide film to compare it to. From what I have read (in English)

it sounds like 100 (non-F) is closer to Velvia 50 than the new 100F is. You can read

more at http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/velvia100f.htm

I have already had friends contact me about sending some back to the states, but I

am reluctant because I am not sure what kind of things it would go through while

being shipped. Is it a legit concern to be worried about temperatures in shipping? I

also have to consider that my full time job would be affected if I were to start a side

business of exporting this stuff even if I was doing it at cost just as a favor.

From what I have read in the past, you are unable to mail order internationally from

Japanese photo stores. No reason given, I guess that's just the way it is. I can

understand this for equipment, (bodies, etc) but I don't see why film would be an

issue. I guess it just wouldn't make too much sense to set up online stores if you

could only sell a small selection of goods.

On a completely other note, this is yet another case where I am convinced I could

make quite a bit of money opening my own "for export" store from here. I have found

a ton of Nikon stuff (mostly accessories, but some equipment too) that is simply not

sold anywhere else. However, I am a bit concerned with the legality of the whole thing

and the fact that demand could easily overwhelm my ability to supply without causing

local stores to be suspicious.

Larry

Kagawa-ken, Japan