montanhacz

Hello:

I want to publish some photos in the internet. But I would like to put my name

in the photo, with the copyright mark. Where can I get a free software to do

this? Some months ago I used a software to do this but after put my name on the

photos each photo doubled the size, and I didn't want this. Is there any

solution? Thanks

Carlos

You can copyright anything you create by simply writing it on the copy. If PS has a facililty for it, fine. Be aware (beware) that copyright doesn't mean anything unless you actively enforce it legally against suspected infringements. If you are not willing to hire an attorney and go to court, you may as well sit back and hope.

PS has a couple instant/auto ways to put text on your images. One is in the File Automate Image Processing option (CS2) and going back earlier versions (as well as CS2) will so the same when you create a Photo Web Gallery. For the later, just tell PS not to resize the originals, then under security take 'custom type', place it where you like, let it RIP and throw away everything but the "Images" folder.

Irfanview is free - it can insert text (irfanview.com) You may as well download all the plugins while you are at it.

And there is a lot of not-free stuff. Surf for "watermark pictures" for starters.

Of course, as noted by others, adding a watermark doesn't help if you have not registered your copyright. In the USA you must have a copyright registered before bringing a case to court.

<i>adding a watermark doesn't help if you have not registered your copyright. In the USA

you must have a copyright registered before bringing a case to court</i><br/><br/>

That's dead wrong. Copyright belongs to the creator the moment the work is created,

whether or not it is

registered. Registration brings added benefits, such as an increase in the amount of damages

you can sue for. But you can still sue for infringement without having registered.

<i>Registration brings added benefits, such as an increase in the amount of damages you can sue for.</i>

<p>

The "increase" in practical terms is likely the difference between diddly squat and up to $150,000 in statutory damages. Without registration prior to the offense you must prove actual damages and that is very difficult, likely impossible, for a majority of us to do, even if we can find a lawyer to take the case for what would likely be a pittance even if we won.

<p>

If you want to protect your images, register them. The copyright notice is not required in the U.S.

Using the text tool in Photoshop to put your copyright notice on your images will serve as notice to honest folks that you own the copyright and that your images aren't in the public domain. That won't stop an unscrupulous person from cropping that part off of your image.

You should also use File>Info to imbed your copyright information in the photo file. This will tell any editor that the image is copyrighted and where it came from. As images float from editor to editor within one publishing house, it keeps digital files from getting "separated" from indictions of ownership.

It is not a legal requirement that you register your images (you do own the copyright from the moment your create your image), BUT it is advisable, and it is easier to register them before you "publish" them (on the internet or elsewhere) than after you publish them.

Seth Resnick's website has some helpful copyright links, including a simple method for copyright registration.

http://www.sethresnick.com/photographersonly/photographershome.html

Jim