small can of photo quality air, (the stuff for cleaning computers and

electrical is cheaper, but deposits condensation residue) I was

thinking of making a high pressure vessle to refill from the air

supply where I work. Another thought was to build a device using c02

cartridges that are used on pellet guns. I use alot of air for

cleaning out my enlarger to lenses, and once in a while keeping my

cat off the counter top. Anybody have any ideas beside buying a

compressor?

Welding supply shops will sell all sorts of compressed gasses in various sized refillable containers. You'll need a regulator valve and hose & a blowdown gun. Scale from inside the tank may be an issue.<p>Medical supply shops also deal in compressed gasses. Again you'll require a reg, hoses and gun. The gasses should be pure/scale free.<P>Art supply shops (or the internet) are good sources for oil less compressor's used for air brushing artists. A filter & regulator may be needed as will hoses & blow down gun.

The down-side of compressors is that the air is usually filled with condensed moisture and oil fumes. They also tend to make a racket and come on automatically when you least expect it. You need to have nerves of steel.

My solution was to purchase a small (8"x24") tank of compressed nitrogen from a local supplier. Same people who supply tall tanks to commercial color labs and hospitals.

The whole rig: tank, regulator, hose, etc. was just under $100. When empty, I return the tank and swap it for a full one, paying only for the new gas.

Works like a dream. Dry as a bone. Quiet as a morgue. How long does it last? I dunno - that was 1995 and I'm still on my first tank.

Thanks for all of your Ideas, and to those who have emailed me. I agree the compressor is to noisey for me. The cheapest way out will be to buy a tank from Harbor freight and fill at at work. I feel so stupid for not thinking of this myself. I like the compressed gas tank idea also. I used to have a Co2 tank for my keg setup back in my drinking days, I can't believe I didn't think of that either. The gas does last forever!!!

Thanks again

Don't use CO2 intended for pellet guns - the cartridges contain oil designed to keep the internals lubricated and the seals from drying out.

OTOH, speaking of airguns, precharged pneumatic airguns have become a big deal. Folks are having their personal tanks charged with breathing quality air by SCUBA shops and, sometimes, by airgun supply shops. Either may do the trick for you.

Me, I use the biggest squeeze bulb I could find.

Most commerical air compressors are oil type and will have trace amounts of oil in the air they produce unless they are designed for Breathing Air. The Campbell-Hausfeld compressors at the big orange box loose 5% to 10% of their rated airflow after 100 or so hours of operation. Most Craftsman air compressors are DeVilbiss in disguise and the oil free ones deliver their rated airflow after 1000 hours of use. Model #15235 would be good for home use.

Be sure to break-in any oil free compressor as teflon rings and bearings must be seated for the compressor to work properly.

I bought a small can at the photo store for $5 and then noticed that Walmart sells a much larger can, also for $5- they had it by the 1-hour photo department. Makes one wonder if they aren't their own best customer for the stuff.

Normal air compressors like at Harbor Freight Tool are designed mainly for tires and pneumatic tools. They are oil lubricated. When you compress air and then recool it, you can get some water condensation. In either case, the air you get from a regular compressor may not be what you want to blow lenses out with. (Note for example that normal air compressor air is not considered breathable).

your asking for a lot of trouble here.. i thought i could blow off gems with compressed air to view with microscope. have a compressor and used it to blow them fater steaming them so water would not form on bottom etc.. the darn hose has talcom powder in it or some such to make it store longer or whatever. very ugley under 10x... some hoses have oil in them from oilers on compressors to lube tools.. if you use the wrong thing you could do some real damage.. i now use compressed photo air from wall mart and it works good and its fairly cheap.... i had old old hoses on myh shop compressor and they must have blowed clean or some such, worked great on my bellows on 4x5 to get dust out. but would not do it again with new hose.. good luck.. dave.

Regarding my suggestion to check with SCUBA and airgun supply shops, let them deal with the hassles of maintaining oil-free, contaminant free compressors. Just buy an approved tank designed for oil-free use (such as for pre-charged pneumatic airguns) and let the shop refill your tank as needed.

Beeman's Precision Airguns and various distributors throughout the world and on the web can help with this. They'll be glad to discuss safe handling, refill procedures, etc.

I used to use the dust off xl on my 35mm stuff. It ruined a few negatives and left condensation streaks on the lens. It is a freon based product. As far as Wal-mart I never new they had the photo quality compressed air $5 bucks a can is still alot compared to the nitrogen. I wasn't going to buy a compressor Just the tank,and fill it with air that has been thru a water trap, but yes there still may be crapp in the tank, & condensation. I will have to check out the air gun supply, and the co2 tank at a Photo shop.

Ditto to the Costco 4-pack canned air. There's no better deal anywhere that I've found. And no danger of oil contamination as from air compressors, either.

The cost of the annual Costco membership more than pays for itself if cleanliness of film and equipment is of concern.

SCUBA places won't fill a tank for you unless you're a certified diver. A lot of photographers I know brew their own beer. I have CO2 that I use double-duty for both purposes. I also have an old nitrogen burst system that I don't use anymore but could use the tank. They're cheap and probably come with enough gas left to last you forever.

I bought a clever refillable thing at Office Depot. It looks just like a disposable can of compressed air, but it has a standard bike valve that you just use to pump it up to 100 psi with a bike pump.

The air blasts aren't as powerful as the regular cans of compressed air, but I don't consider that a problem since it still works fine for getting rid of dust.

It's called "ReAir".