Shooting the Grand Canyon

vish_krishnan

Hi Vish

I would recommend a good Circ. Polarl filter. Maybe even the Hoya "moose" Circ Polar. that has a warming filter built in. Also I would think one the "enhancing filters" that are so popular for fall leaves might work. I also always liked a Tiffin 812, to bring out the color.

Just a few thoughts

Rob

Depends on the weather, and the time of year that you go. you at least need a UV

haze filter, and a polarizer is a good idea. Condsider some graduated filters and a

tripod also. Be aware that both sunrise and sunset find many people trying to capture

the colors, and it can get crowded in some places. If you paln to shoot sunrise, know

where you're going to shoot from, and arrive early to stake out a spot. The canyon

offers several vantage points for photography, so if you have the time, check out

more than one. Above all, be careful, we lose a couple of people a year from falling

over the edge, and that's no joke.

"Twenty years ago all I needed was Kodachrome for daytime and Ektachrome for

dawn and twilight. No filters.

Now I hear pollution has spoiled the vistas somewhat and filters may help revive the

photos."

Well it certainly hasn't done it any good. Conditions do vary, but they're not like they

used to be. You need to be prepared to make adjustments nowadays. Visibility has

been severely curtailed by pollution in most of the state. :o(

Carl's definitely right about the crowds at sunset - at popular locations such as Hopi point, I was shoulder to shoulder with other photographers. However, a short walk along the rim trail is usually enough to get a bit of space to yourself.

Carl - from the wording of your response ("we lose..") do I take it that you work at the Canyon? If so, consider me very jealous indeed!

"Carl - from the wording of your response ("we lose..") do I take it that you work at

the Canyon? If so, consider me very jealous indeed!"

Work? No I'm retired in Mesa :o)

When I said "we", I was taking the liberty of speaking for our state. But I'm only about

4-5 hours away from the canyon, and a couple of hours closer to Sedona.

• 3 weeks later...
Carl- if I want to visit the Grand Canyon, flying out of LA to Flagstaff, where do I go from there? Someone mentioned to me, to rent a car at the airport and drive there, but he didn't say how far. I'm guess- from looking on the map about 60 miles to hotels in the Canyon area, but again that's just a guess.

Good question, and it has more than one answer. :o)

First, flying from LA to Flagstaff is probably going to more expensive than flying to

Phoenix, and driving up from there. From Phoenix, the Canyon is 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. From

flagstaff, it's about 1 1/2 hrs, and it's about 80 miles. You'll have to decide what's

more important, being closer by landing in Flagstaff, or the possible savings by

landing in Phoenix, and taking that extra 2 hour drive each way. Check the prices

before you decide.

Once you are in Flagstaff, you have two ways to reach the Canyon. You can take hwy

180 out of Flagstaff all the way to the Canyon, and this is the most scenic route to

take. The other choice is to take I-40 west to Williams, and then take hwy 64 North to

where it converges with hwy 180. You didn't say what time of year you are going, in

winter I would go through Williams. A common choice is to travel one way going up,

and the other when returning. Get a map of the area, and it will be very easy to find

your way around. If you have the time, and are traveling from Phoenix, it's a

worthwhile side trip to go to Sedona from Flagstaff, hwy 89A, on your way back. That

would take you down through Oak Creek Canyon into Sedona, and it's an easy return,

hwy 179, back to I-17 and Phoenix when you ready to return to Phoenix. You could

also Sedona that from Flagstaff if you chose. Hwy 89A is not recommended in winter.

The hotels. This is VERY important. Be absolutely certain that you have a reservation

before you arrive at the Canyon. There are motels in Tusayan, the little town just

before you enter the Canyon park itself, and there are lodgings inside the Canyon as

well. And there is NOTHING else close by. You can go on line to <http://

www.grandcanyonlodges.com/static/1.htm> for info and reservations for lodging

inside the park. For outside the park lodging, you have to call the individual motels,

here's a link to finding them on the web, <http://www.choosehotels.com/Arizona/

GRAND_CANYON_(TUSAYAN)_AZ.html>. Plan ahead and book early if you want to be

assured of a room.

Lastly, have a great time, I wish I was going with you. :o)