Canon Lens Combination, which one you choose??

roland_toh

Given three options, which will you choose....

Option 1

i. EF24-85mm/f3.5-4.5 USM

ii.EF70-200mm/f4L USM

Option 2

i. EF24mm/f2.8 AFD

ii.EF50mm/f1.4 USM or EF50mm/f1.8 MM

iii.EF70-200mm/f4L USM

Option 3

i. EF20-35mm/f3.5-4.5 USM

ii. EF50mm/f1.4 USM or EF50mm/f1.8 MM

iii.EF70-200mm/f4L USM

cheers

If I needed to cover people type events (even a kids birthday party), I would probably choose #1. For landscapes and general outdoor picture taking in good light, #3 should work nice. If you like shooting handheld in low light, or street photography, or shoot in high flare situations, option #2 may be best (may want a short/fast telephoto prime to supplement the 70-200).

For a 1.6x crop DSLR, the answers would be different.

Different answers for different situations.

1) Easiest to use but optically the weakest below 70mm.

2) Slowest to use, but optically the strongest and best in low light.

3) Best choice if a 10D/300D is also on your shopping list or already in your bag.

My personal choice would be 2), then 1), then 3). I currently carry a 24 f/2.8, 50 f/1.8 and 100 f/2. Longer lenses and zooms are living in a cupboard at home and I rarely miss them. I use a 7E as the film holder.

For the price of a 24-85 I can get a Tokina 28-70 or 28-80 ATX F2.8, these lenses are also a steal secondhand. So that's that one sorted.

I use my 24,28 and 50mm Canon primes when I can (looking out for a secondhand 35mm) but when I have to work fast I use the Tokina.

I recently bought a mint secondhand 70-200f4L and I'm very happy with it.

Do remember that fancy gear will not turn you into a good photographer.

I have the 50 F1.4 and the 70-200 F4L for my 10D and have decided on the 17-40 F4L as the third lens, when I get the money. I've heard of a lot of people opting for this route, as the glass is top quality all the way through and for a reasonable price.

I considered the 28 F1.8 but I figured that I have low light covered with the 50 and the wide zoom will likely be for larger DOF landscape shots, and used as a 'flexible normal' outdoor walkaround. The short primes are relatively cheap for what you get, though, so I wouldn't hesitate getting a wide prime (I may get the 28 anyways as well) and then picking up the 17-40 or another wide zoom if the prime doesn't really work for you.

If you want to keep it simple, light, fast and versatile. 24, 50, 200 and buy a Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300. I works really well on the 50mm 1.4 I never thought I'd say that but image quality is simply excellent. Never would have believed it till I tried it. Makes a perfect short telephoto for portraits on the 10d with extremely narrow depth of field if you want it and the flexibility of still having your 50mm. And of course you get a 280 f/4 on the 200mm f/2.8L. My wide landscape lens is a 14mm f/2.8 but that's another story. I'd say my most used lens on my 10d is the 24mm 2.8. I use it more than 50% of the time. So much so I'm thinking of getting the 24mm f/1.4L. There is nothing like having the creative flexibility of large apertures. Good glass does not make a great photographer but a great photographer does not limit his creative potential. It's just not in his nature to do so.