Polaroid Sprintscan 45 Ultras for cheap...

audidudi

Daniel: I've searched all over for someone with a glass film holder in stock but have come up empty so far. If you track one down -- or rather, _two_ down, since I presume you'll take the first one -- then please let me know.

David: The Sprintscan 45 was the first generation version of this scanner and is generally regarded by most people as something of a "dog," performance-wise. The Sprintscan 45i was the second generation version and was much improved compared to the Sprintscan 45 but, IMO, still somewhat less than a stellar performer (specifically, too much noise in the shadows, which is manifested as multi-colored banding ... at least, this is the case with my sample). The third and final version is the Sprintscan 45 Ultra, which was the original subject of this thread. Not only does it scan at 2500ppi versus 2000ppi, its electronics are 14-bit instead of 12-bit (which means there's less padding in the 16-bit files it outputs) and based upon my limited experience with it so far, its performance is head-and-shoulders above the Sprintscan 45i it replaced.

As far as pricing goes, $500 for the original Sprintscan 45 strikes me as too much. I know of one that sold locally within the past year for just $125 and I paid only $250 for my Sprintscan 45i a few months ago. In other words, if circumstances limit you to the original 45, then you should try to negotiate a better price with the seller; if you have more flexibility, then you should probably look for a 45i instead of a 45, or ideally, buy my 45i before it turns up on eBay in the next few days/weeks!

Jeff

Thanks for the info, I also just posted this question in digital darkroom forum. I was consdering buying the Epson 3200 until I came across the Polaroid. The seller paid 500.00 on ebay for it and waited 3 months to get and I believ he thought he got ripped off, during this time he purchased another one, most likley the 45u and offer this one to me.

I would like a 45U but I cannot find any on ebay currently for under 1000.00. I could swing 500-600.00 but that is my budget for now. So I may end up with the 3200 anyway.

Thanks again

Well, this is going to sound very foolish. I've been looking for some glass

holders for the Polaroid Ultra, after just purchasing one on Ebay for $725.

B&H is out of stock, as is Calumet and probably anyone that originaly carried

this scanner. I got a brain storm after reading that the 45 Ultra is actualy

manufactured by Microtec, and called them to see if they have compatible

glass holders. The Rep at first said that the unit would need to be sent in for

calibration before the holders could be used. He later said that he could not

help me and recommended that I call Polaroid. Exactly. Polaroid does indeed

still have the glass holders, and were very happy to ship them out to me. The

price was probably $20 more than I could have found at retail, but considering

that there is no retail for the Polaroid 45 Ultra Glass Holders, I did not mind. I

hope that this is of use to anyone looking.

Well, after reading the above post, I finally gave up on the idea of buying a glass film holder for less than retail and called Polaroid's customer service department today. They transferred me to Jay in the Commercial Digital department and he confirmed that they have just a few of these left ("Five, I think") and further confirmed Polaroid has no plans to order any more once they're gone. The direct-from-Polaroid price was $269.95 plus shipping and tax -- a little over $294.00 total for me here in Arizona -- but as this is probably the last chance I'll ever have to buy one, I decided to "bite the bullet" and order one. Anybody else who's interested in one probably ought to do the same, and do it quickly...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

<p>hi guys - hope you see this!<br>

I've picked up a polaroid sprintscan 45 ultra but without any software or even the film carrier or holders - still it was dirt cheap!!<br>

Michael Bergman said a couple had mentioned an 'aftermarket film holder ... machine cut... it has both glass and metal holders' - but who is/was it by?? Anyone know where I could get new (cheap!) or used film carrier and film holders for sizes up tp 5x4 - either the original polaroid (came with the scanners) or aftermarket versions. Or if any of you guys decided to go for the glass film holders that were discussed originally perhaps I might be able scrounge some of your unused polaroid film holders!!</p>