Medium Format purchase - high tech versus tradition

squareframe

not true tom, at least not with the 503CW. I asked this of the Hasselblad reps today, and we tried it. just like I found on my rental, the dark slide will not push inward after the mirror has been released, therefore disallowing removal of the back.

you waste a shot.

well, I didn't mean that I drink the beer and feast on corn nuts. it was more of a suggestion to others to get a life.<BR><BR>

a few comments. Glazer's in Seattle no longer rents the Rollei 6008, though they regard it as a wonderful camera system. and secondly, my comment about my son and our airplane, was a comical look at the capricious nature of teenagers, and not commentary on how well the high-tech industry has paid me.<BR><BR>

in 1953 I was laying in a hospital stricken with polio. watched children with shrinking legs lay on the table next to me, felt my own legs quiver, and saw others dying. I feel lucky to enjoy the many adventures that I have, and buying my son a Hasselblad or an airplane is one of them. photography is another adventure, runs through my veins, but in the large scheme of life .. is a trivial pursuit.<BR><BR>

I bought the Hasselblad today and a couple of lenses. the Rollei was amazing too.<BR><BR>

thanks once again for the help.

After reading your postings, I couldn't fell asleep yesterday. I am not qualified to give you any meaningful suggestions, but here it goes. Have you considered buying both? If I were in your position, I will definitely get rid of that airplane sucker and buy all the good stuffs that I dream everyday but not even close to buy anything. A private airplane is a poor decision because it is more likely to fail than your Rollei battery. Ever think about flying from California to Boston to shoot a wedding? Just think what happens to JFK Jr!

I have already thrown away $2000 on that Nikon 35mm junk. Now I am thinking about spend around $3300 to start a Hasselblad 503. My wife has agreed to let me buy it when I get my MCSE certification (2 down already). I am 35 now (half of my useful life is gone!), with an annual salary of $50K, with no house bought yet, no kid in horizon, no Green Card in hand. But here comes my Hassy! Later on, I will save to buy RUNCO HDTV projector ($15,000, does anyone know it has a Zeiss lens option?), Revel Salon speakers (which Phil hates so much) and Mark Levinson mono amplifiers.

A good excuse for you would be buying that Rollei for your college-going son (I didn't even have a PS then and all the fun-time memories were fading now because I got no pictures!). You can play with Rollei now and give it to your son after 3 years, rather than after 30 years (if he doesn't care, then you can easily find a guy here who cares and is willing to call you 'Dad'!) If he goes to MIT, chances are Phil and him will be the only guys out there with a Rollei hanging around. They can become buddies in that way! And that may even give Phil enough incentive to buy that latest, greatest digital camera toy.

I read somewhere that Robert Frost has a poem called "Road Not Taken". We are always wondering what happens if we go down the other path. But in your case, you don't have to. You can have both. Life is short, enjoy!

P.S. Glad to know you've bought Hassy as a "trival pursuit". Sadly, for me, it's the whole meaning of existence in my life.

Michael-

My lenscap is transparent plastic, but I get your point and can devise a workaround. Thanks for the tip.

Apologies to everyone for diverging from the main topic, but I'm just glad I could glean some useful info from this thread.

I didn't mean to say that any of the other information besides the mirror lock-up tip on this thread wasn't useful, it's just that it wasn't particularly useful to me (but I'm glad Daniel found it helpful).

Incidentally, on my 500CM with an A12 back the darkslide won't insert all the way when the mirror is locked up. Michael's answer seems to be the only way.

Congrat's Dan on your purchase. I to was wrestling the Hassy vs. Rollei monster. Looking at used systems, I opted for the Rollei. The metering won me over.

I'm sorry to see that some folk's are giving you a hard time for your financial success. My experience has been that most people who are very successful have worked really hard to get there. I choose to work less hard, am less successful financially, but still very happy. You sound like a happy person too. That should be the deciding factor. If buying your son a camera or an airplane makes you happy, why should it bother others? Beside, some really fun planes can be had for not much money. On the other hand, if you are attempting to fill some hidden void with objects, that can be a problem. Your postings, however, suggest otherwise. I say enjoy the fruits of you labor.

Is your farm a working farm? If so what are you growing? Any thoughts on what tractor (diesel 15-25 hp) to get with a 3 point hitch and PTO? That's my next riddle to solve. And of course I need to do it on a budget being the lazy SOB that I am!

I am quite sure that the four airplanes I have owned, have all cost less than Trib has spent or Camels, Virginia Slims, or whatever tobacco he chooses. it is all a matter of priority. I write software for six months out of the year, so I can take a year off to travel, fly, play my music, and of course .. photograph. when I take a year off (or two), my income is zero. my time and the ability to pursue my passions is more important to me, than the car I drive. I wear jeans, sandals, and old sweaters, which allows me to have very fine camera equipment. this allows me to explore a personal side of my creativity which brings me great personal benefit and fulfillment.

I have had wonderful conversations with the Hasselblad USA folks today and am enjoying every exposure I make. by the way, a new promotion will hit the streets on july 15th. as I understand it, a 501CM purchase with back, gets you a free prism, spare back, and two $500 coupons on a Zeiss lens. don't quote me, but I think I got that correct.

Hasselblad or Rollei, Canon or Nikon, Linhoff, or whatever .. it transcends labeling, and when I press the shutter it is magic. that is why I do this thing called photography.

cheers.

I have found this to be a very interesting discussion, in particular Daniel's observation that the MF negatives "glowed" on the light table when in comparison to 4x5 negatives - when the 4x5 lenses being used are the Schneider XL range, this is extraordinary!

So, Daniel, what are the real differences you perceive between your 4x5 and 6x6 results, and how would you quantify these, both subjectively and objectively? On balance, which system delivers better results? Is giving up movements, and the ability to develop sheets of film individually worth it?

As a side question, by common consensus, what are the "classic" lenses for a Hasselblad (and why?), and how do these compare to the Rollei counterpart?

Daniel, let me see if I have this correct. Assuming the PM-45 does qualify, a person could get:

501CM - $1585

A12 - $730

A12 - Free

PM-45 - Free

60CB - $1638 (2138-500)

160CB - $1960 (2460-500)

Total - $5913

Wow, a competent 'blad system for under $6k.

Although I find my 6x6 chromes to glow, I get a similar effect w/ 4x5 on RVP w/ the Schneider 150XL lens using sheet film loaded in Toyo holders shot on a Toyo VX125 w/ compendium shade. Film flatness is critical, BTW. Toyo holders, next to the Grafmatics, are supposedly the flatest. Ground glass calibration is also important (where you focus must correspond to where the film actually is). So many factors can go wrong w/ LF that it's tough to pinpoint the cause of a slightly soft shot. Is it because of GG calibration, holder flatness, MTF falloff at the edge of the image circle, focusing error? Insufficient DOF? No compendium shade? (excess light enters the bellows and bounces around, causing possible loss of contrast..more important in LF than MF due to large image circles)

Why not let your son, himself, decide? Put the burden on him --- if he is going to be using it, he ought to decide which. I don't have a lot of money myself and don't have children yet, but in your place I would want to give the son the responsibilities of coming up with a plan and executing it. So maybe tell him you will finance $x amount and he can buy what he wishes and when he wishes. If he is wise, he will wait until he is more certain of what he wants and buy accordingly....He deserves, at least, the opportunity to learn from his own mistakes.<p>

In my own short photo-buying history I have bought the wrong thing many times. I started by investing exclusively in lots of 35mm gear --- but as my interests evolved and my business needs changed, it became obvious that 35mm was not always what was needed. I ended up buying and selling several different cameras until now, when I have settled down with a small collection of different gear that I like.<p>

For what its worth, facing the same dilemna, I bought Hasselblad because of my budget...widely availible rentals and a big pool of used gear that is cross compatible with the new gear. I've scrimped and saved to buy every scrap of this camera system and have bought older, used "C" lenses that I plan to eventually replace with new ones when budget permits. My customers have not complained that I am not using the latest "CFi" lenses --- I have saved several hundred by using NPC polaroid backs, older non-auto film backs and Eastern European made prisms instead of the genuine Swedish article. Would I be happier with an all new all name brand camera system? Sure --- but since it's not in the budget I don't worry about it.

Dan,

As I also have the 100 XL, I'm curious about your assesment regarding

"glow". I think Jim is on to something. Any chance you were shooting

RVP in MF and a less colorful film with LF?

Also curious, what was the name of the company of yours that went

public? What do they do? -

www.citysnaps.net

I must confess that I have never made an image with my Linhof Technikardan on any film that was not B&W. this is why I was surprised to see the TMax 100 negatives literally glow on the light table. hadn't seen that before. the gradation, total lack of grain, and definition was quite amazing. I am shooting a roll today with the new 100mm f3.5 and hope to be even more ecstatic.

there is a distinct difference in densities and emulsion character, such that I am going back to review my 4x5 Jobo Expert Drum process. I thought I had the process refined, but it appears there is room for additional improvement.

• 3 months later...
About 20 years ago I tested Hasselblad 500C's and Mamiya RB 67's. On a tripod Mamiya won hands down, I suspect because flare is better handled by huge camera body. Mamiya RB is close to unusable handheld. We bought both. Mamiya has broken twice in very rugged use in near east deserts with sand and 120F plus temperatures, Hasselblad has never failed.