2004 ??

grahan_kilbey

And now for a serious response...

My prediction is that Leica will produce a limited run of an MP-7. That is, they'll produce a limited quantity of M7 cameras configured like the MP (with traditional engraving, of course, in black paint only). The price? I'm guessing $4,000 (U.S.) for the body (with the limited quantity at 2000).

I would look for such a camera in the spring of 2004. Remember, you heard it here first!

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

What was I thinking? I'm predicting Leica will produce a 50-year anniversary M camera people might actually use to take pictures!

But my prediction stands (perhaps with some silver chrome models thrown in). After all, the first M3 cameras were all silver chrome.

When you come to a fork in the road, take it ...

– Yogi Berra

Well, if a stock chrome MP with a leather cover and a leather strap and a carrying bag costs $8400 and commemorates nothing more than Hermes' turning Leica into a 3-ring circus parody of itself; and if a stock MP with a gray paint job commemorating the LHSA--for the third time--costs $4000, I shudder to think what the 50-year-M3 will cost. But I predict that it will be an MP with the M3-style raised-window top plate a la M6J. And I predict that Lucien will be the first to post the release announcement on every Leica-related photo forum on the internet, and Erwin will have a Testreport proclaiming it the best Leica ever and the only one to own if you consider yourself any kind of photographer. And I predict that I will have nothing good to say about it.

Well, after the introduction of the 'null serie' or model 0, I predict that the next step (backward) will be a $2000 Leica badged disposable camera (made by kodak), loaded with tri-x pan, naturally.

The fact that it only lasts for one roll of film matters not, as it will be a 'collector's model', and thus will probably expose no more than 5 frames in it's lifetime (some of those by accident, due to the loss of feeling through the white cotton gloves supplied with the camera).

To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the M3, I predict a

re-release of the III-G with a whole range of screw-mount lenses.

Just kidding...

An MP with M3 style top plate, self-timer (no meter), and a fancy

leather bag with matching 35/50/90mm lenses (with leather

cases) like the 50Y50 Summicron, and a Leicavit. And, a

shoe-mount external meter. And yes, the 50YM3 with have

35mm frame lines.

Price, $13,500 for the kit, production, 1954 bodies, number

sequentially.

I predict that whatever Leica does to commemorate 50 years, it will be deemed a step forward, as opposed to a step backwards, i.e., Leica 0 Series. However, the MP was touted as a step forward, as was the M7 so . . . now I am all confused.

Whatever Leica does, it will definitely be better than anything it has done before and I will buy it to take better pictures of my wife and child!