Is Matrix Metering Worth It?

glenn_blaszkiewicz1

I am wondering how everyone feels about Nikon's matrix metering. I

ask this because I am considering having a couple of my MF

lenses "chipped" for the added bonus of matrix metering on my F100.

I know the advantages it creates with flash photo's. But when it

comes to everyday, daylight photo's do you think it gives that much

of an advantage over center weighted metering?

To be honest, after years of shooting, I can careless about any of it. TTL, Matrix.. etc.. I use a cheapo $9.99 Vivitar 2000 and just by hitting the test flash button, I know what A/S to set at and get it right by at least 90%. The rest the lab can take care of.

There is no advantage one mode over another. You have to understand how the camera is metering your subject, or should I say colours. Just find something gray and get your reading off that, this will give you a very accurate reading. Works 100% everytime on my M6 :)

However I do have experiences with the F5 Matrix Metering. It is extremely useful for fill flash outdoor. Using it indoor yield less than desirable results for me.

My advice to you is finding the right exposures using just spot metering. It is simply the best of all!

I usually shoot matrix when using negative film and it seems to do what is needed. In backlight I might add a stop or so.

However, with slides I nearly always rely on spot or incident metering and they give more consistent results than matrix (provided that you use them correctly). However, neither can be used for automatic exposure, so the method of choice would depend on how quick you need to be to get the shot.

A good reason to have your Ai-S lenses chipped is the fact that the D100 does not meter without the chip.

My N90s in matrix metering mode is a more accurate tool, much of the time, than my EM or FM3A with 60/40 center weighted metering.

If I take the time to THINK for a minute about what I'm seeing in the viewfinder, I can do just as well with the center-weighted approach. Really. Brain plus simple meter will do as well as complex meter.

But when the contents of the viewfinder are changing constantly and rapidly (following a nine-year old soccer player back and forth into and out of the direct sun, for instance) the matrix metering is a blessing.

Sure, get those lovely lenses chipped and enjoy the option of matrix metering when it's the right mode to be in.

Well, that depends.

None of the Hassleblad 500 series cameras have any meter at all, yet their photos expose 35 mm for all the limitations of the smaller negative. Hassy shooters typically use a hand held incident meter.

Matrix metering is a nice to have, if you're in a hurry.

If you know (and there's no reason why not to) how to use a center or spot meter, well, then matrix is only nice when you don't have time to think.

And if you have and know how to use an incident meter, well, that is even better than matrix.

The short and accurate answer for me is : "yes." You might not see much a difference

if

you only shoot negatives. But you need to run your own tests. Assuming you already

one or more AF-Nikkor lenses, set

your camera to aperture priority control and shoot some A / B test slides in different

lighting conditions using center weighted and Matrix metering.

A couple of years ago I bought a Contax 645, which has most modern features such as AF, electronic control, etc. but no matrix metering. After using that for a few months, I came to the conclusion that as long as you have time to adjust your exposure, not having matrix type metering is not a big deal at all. In fact, I prefer to spot meter different parts of the image and adjust exposure manually. However, if you shoot sports, actions or you are a PJ type, matrix metering and the A, S or P mode could be extremely helpful when you have no time to carefully adjust exposure.

As a 30 year user of centre-weighted meters, I find the matrix meter very useful when the light is not particularly difficult, and I just want to get the picture. It's nice to have it available. Like autofocus, it doesn't mean I use it all the time, in every situation, but I have it when I want it. The nice thing about today's Nikons is that you have a tool available for every situation, and I use all three meters in my F80 at various times.

I agree that matrix metering is no big deal. Whenever you use ANY kind of light metering system you also have to use the most important tool of all, your brain. You have to understand what the meter "see" and how it responds, and in many, MANY instances you have to know what kinds of adjustments to make to your expsosure so that it comes out the way you want it to. Yesterday I was photographing shorebirds at Pt. Reyes (in Marin County, California) using my 80-400 VR lens (you know, the one with the insect inside), and matrix metering by itself produced photos in which a backlit Sanderling was consistently underexposed. Surprisingly to me, spot metering helped only a little. Finally, I had to use exposure compensation to get it the way I wanted it. I probably should also have lowered the contrast level setting on my D100, but I didn't think about it at the time. Also, when you photograph objects that are largely white or black you KNOW the meter will be fooled to some extent.

There are no metering panaceas. I got one lens "chipped" already and might get others done, but I did it just so metering would work, period, on my D100.

I use Matrix Metering quite a lot and it orks great, especially for print films. For slide film, I'll often use a spot meter to double-check my matrix meter, and they usually are within 1/3 f-stop of each other.

Despite what I've read, I find that the matrix meter on a Nikon is fooled pretty easily. It doesn't take an extreme scene to fool it, either; a single bright flare (from a windshield, let's say) can cause the matrix to mis-read a scene. Not a problem for print film, but for slide film I try to be extra careful.

The only camera that I use a center-weighted meter with is my FM2n, and it's a fabulous meter.

In my experience matrix-metering produces significantly better results than center-weighed if you want to let the camera do all the work. Of course you can always use a spot meter an do all the work "by hand", but that's not what 35mm is for. Matrix metering really has an advantage over traditional metering when in full sunlight, especially when capturing bright scenes.

By the way, excellent choice of lenses...

<I>Of course you can always use a spot meter an do all the work "by hand", but that's not what 35mm is for </I>

<p>

Is that why 35 mm cameras such as the $300 F70 has a spot meter, but the cheapest Hasselblad with one is the 205FCC with a $7670 price tag? Looks like the people voted differently. There are some thinking photographers who use 35 mm, apparently.

It depends on what film you are shooting and how much experience that you have. Negative films have so much latitude that I don't see much need for matrix metering, center weighted will do just fine. With slide films, if you have some experience, center weighted will work very well because you know when to over ride the meter. I would not go to the expense of chipping a lens unless I only wanted to use an automatic mode without providing any input. Even then I would hesitate, in my experience centerweighted is good for about 95 out of 100 shots and matrix only about 98 out of 100. Is the extra 3 frames in 100 worth the expense? That is something you have to decide.

Don't get me wrong, matrix metering is great and I use it the most. My point is that the center weighted metering is also a really good system and that it may not be worth the expense of chipping your lenses just to step up to the matrix system.

Matrix metering is one of the reasons to shoot Nikon. Nobody is forced to use it on

the F100, but I find that I use it a lot. Not every shot is one that can be fussed over,

and one can miss an oportunity if they aren't ready to shoot. Of course not every shot

is a keeper, but the more one shoots, the more keepers one gets. No, I don't mean

blindly pointing and shooting and then hoping for the best, just being ready to take

advantage when the chance comes along.

Thanks to everyone for your input on my question. In the end, I think I will not be having the chip put in to the lenses. If I do, it will probably only be in the 28mm f2.8 AIS. I think the matrix metering could be of more use with the wide angle lens. I shoot about 75% slides and I have a lot of use using center weighted metering but I have not used the spot meter as much. When you think about it, untill about 10 years ago or so we didn't have matrix metering. And as near as I can remember I took some good photos back in those days:-). My other lenses are all AF lenses (50mm f1.8D, 180mm f2.8D and 300mm f4) and I can honestly say that I have not seen a big differance in photos taken with these lenses and matrix metering. Thanks again to everyone for your input!

"When you think about it, untill about 10 years ago or so we didn't have matrix

metering. And as near as I can remember I took some good photos back in those

days:-)."

Glenn, with all due respect, that statement is void of any valid reasoning. Using your

thinking, there's no valid reason to ever use any new tecnological advance, including

digital cameras that weren't around 10 years ago. If you don't want to use Matrix

metering, then don't. But don't tell us that it isn't better than center weighted

metering under most conditions. That simply isn't true. One can also use spot

metering, and take readings all over the place, but if that were the best way to do

things, Matrix wouldn't be offered. Everything has it's place, and Matrix metering has

definitely established itself. If your intent is to fool Matrix metering, then you must

be aware that nothing is foolproof.

Spot metering <I>is</I> the best way to do it (or maybe incident in some cases) if you care about the technical quality of the result. Matrix is offered because it is <I>fast</I> and requires no brains which is perfect for most 35 mm photographers or negative film. Ever seen a matrix in a medium format camera? Why don't they have it, yet many of them do have cw and spot. The answer is obvious: nobody would want to waste such a large piece of film by relying on an algorithm which does not tell the user what its doing.

Hi Glenn,

I am sure it is not a must and agree with the others who suggested. Afterall more important is the photographer rather than the camera it self!!! Certainly it makes flash exposure easy - what I do with my F5.

It is like having a manual or an auto gear car. Some people like the manual and do it all (what I prefer) and others like auto. Certaiinly auto is helpful during traffic!!! A better option is triptronic in a Porsche but I cannot afford one!!!

There are many different versions (or levels) of matrix metering. Matrix metering first came on the scene back in 1984 with the Nikon FA and AI-S lenses. It has since been refined many times. Matrix metering with no-CPU lenses is not nearly as advanced as that requires CPU lenses.