Here is a photo of a friend's daughter I took with the Noctilux at

f1, natural light. I was at the minimum distance (1 meter - the

photo is cropped to get in closer). I am very pleased with the

rangefinder on my M7 because it consistently nailed the focus on her

eyes (everything else goes soft in quite a pleasing glow, and there

is no Photshop sharpening or blurring in this image). I also shot

some pix with my Bronica MF, but I can't shoot as wide open of course

and I also can't focus as critically. Each camera has it's own look

but dang I like the leica!<div>005ybb-14426184.jpg.2907270fe63c51d49adb36a34ff136e7.jpg</div>

Thanks for the positive strokes guys... Ralph I used C41 film (tcn400) and had it processed at the local Sam's Club!!! No kidding forget digital saving you money... Sam's Club is $6.00 for 36 4x6 prints. Plus I picked up a nice Chilean cabernet for under $10.00 at the same time!!! This scan is off the print that I got back and if I want to get more detail in the shadows (which, believe me, is there) I scan the neg. cheers!

Jim,

Great pic. Pleased to see another Nocti user putting his head above the parapet! The style you exhibit here is exactly what moved me to buy my Nocti, which I will probably post more of soon.

Critically, I would have removed the wrist band from your portrait. I feel it is a distraction from the face, which is where the attention needs to be focussed. Maybe it is just me of course.

Still very pleasant to look at anyway.

Cheers,

John

I have a canon FD 85 mm 1.2L that has a similar look to this. I find the problem shooting this wide is that you have to make sure that the person is looking directly at you...otherwise the depth of field is so small that their other eye is out of focus! It is a wonderful way to isolate the person though. They are great portrait lenses. You also don't necessarily want to see every pore on someone's face in a portrait either, so it does not have to be super-super sharp wide open.

Fabulous shot, but I would love to see similar shots with the 50 lux, 75 lux and 90 TE. According to my DOF calculator the DOF for the 90TE is 1cm at 0,7meter and 2cm @ 1meter focussing distance. I'm not sure what the near focus limit is of the 90TE, but the 50 lux definately is 0,7meters and also has DOF of 2cm and the 75 lux has <1cm.

Will try to shoot some this this weekend.

First off, Very nice Jim! Second, I would love to see a series of side-by-side images (much like this one) made with both the Noctilux and the Summilux, both at their maximum apertures.

While all agree, this image is first rate (it is!), I wonder if it could have just as well have been shot with a lens that in much smaller, lighter and of course cheaper. Would one more f-stop change everything? If any of you well-heeled Leica gurus out there own both lenses (Mark?), how about some side-by-side samples?

The results of a true shoot-out could be a cure for, or the source of the dreaded Noctilust.