that hobo camera is messin with my head 5x7 or 8x10 ?

ethan_sprague

I am thinking about getting that Hobo camera.

Up until now I have been shooting Polaroid exclusively the past 7 or so

years. Mostly in pack film size, but some 8x10. I am looking to develop my own B&W

film and make contact prints.

So- 8x10 camera - or 5x7 ?

The reason I like the Hobo is I do not need movements.

Are there any other choices? I am trying to keep things very simple (and cheap),

but leaving myself some room to "grow"

Thanks in advance for your help.

-ethan

You can always trim a 8x10 negative to a 5x7, but it is very difficult to trim a 5x7 into

an 8x10.

Both Hobos you mentioned are very portable and easy to use. 8x10 film will probably

be easier to get, though, although a little more expensive. If you get seriously bitten

by the large format bug, you will get an 8x10 someday anyway, so it might be better

to just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the bigger camera.

I was considering this at one time too. I decided that for the larger formats hyperfocal and no moves just didnt cut it. But if you are set on the Hobo go for the 5x7 if you have an enlarger or need better DOF or the 8x10 if you don't. If portability is an issue go 5x7. But at these prices why not buy both and sell the one you dont want down the road.Best though to make up your own mind so as to do the right thing in the moment even if that could change in the future.

I can see a couple of valid uses for a Hobo:

1. Portraiture. Not much need for movements. A tape measure will take care of the focus thing. Only problem? You might need a union focus puller.

2. Landscapes. Wide angle. Hyperfocal. This seems to be how the Hobo folks promote the camera.

Of the two I kinda like #1.

After recently starting in on 8X10, I would have to second the business about hyperfocal distances. At this point, the only 8X10 lens I have is a 300mm Symmar-S. Unless you have very long legs or an extremely short focal length lens, the 8X10 format does take a bit of getting used to. Depth of field will be more of an issue than you might first expect.

I've taken to looking for lofty perches that are solid. Trees are just too difficult to set up in with a tripod. No wonder Adams had a platform on his car. No other way to get decent focus with shots requiring verticality and depth of field.

I believe the choice is all about lenses & enlargers.<p>I believe anyone considering this camera should really research it...(it may help those commenting to do the same).<P>There are more 5x7 enlargers around then 8x10's. If your going to make enlargements then 5x7 is probably the way to go. 8x10's naturally lend themselves more to contact prints.<p>And lenses...the longer the lens the more you have to worry about handheld camera shake. Coverage is also a consideration. 5x7 will be less of a problem then 8x10 if either of those issues are a concern.

A big factor for me would be film availability. 5x7 film is much harder to find than 8x10.

On another note, some one mentioned about tripods in a tree for a raised platform. I just took a workshop from Gordon Hutchings (of Pyro PMK fame). He has taken a fruit picking ladder (the kind with three legs) and added a tripod head to the top. It seemed pretty stable and gave that elevated perspective that you are looking for. He just straps it to the top of his van when not in use.

I use both formats and have to say that the 8x10 is much more satisfying. I know you want to keep it simple but I am going to recommend a cheap field 8x10 instead of using the hyperfocal. Even a 200mm lens has very little DOF. Consider modifying a Burk and James to be simpler and maybe lighter. Buying one with old or torn bellows is quite cheap. It sounds like you need very little bellows draw. It is amazing what you can do with scissors, knife and tape.

With a bit more ingenuity and a graphic arts lens you could easily use the same camera as an 8x10 enlarger for up to 3x enlargements. Contact me if you would like further suggestions/information along these lines. Good luck shooting.

Try a home made 10x12 hobo!

Go to IKEA and get the Mackis-box. Add wood to make it light-tight and paint it black inside. You need a hole for the lens and and maybe "post-it" spray to hold the film steady.

It will fit a 150, 240 or a 300mm.

The Mackis is 500.323.86 and measures 34x27x17cm. You will have to adjust the film plane or position of the film to use the right focus.

I can mail pictures if anyone wan't.

Concerning film 5X7 film is readily available from J&C photo,(www.jandcphotography.com) in Missouri along with several other film sizes. I prefer the J&C Classic 200 rated at 100. Also you can readily get Ilford HP5 in 5X7 from Calumet.