The Platinum Paradigm

ann_m

Ann,

It sounds like you are having the same (or similar) experience that I had when I started.

If your negatives seem to print reasonably well on a #0 to #1.5 filter on MG paper, then you are in the ballpark for a pt/pd print. Try that to confirm the negative density range.

You could have spoiled FO. If it sat in a storage container for a few hot days, the FO may have gone bad. Most regular printers purchase the FO dry, because it does not go bad in that form, only when in solution.

One thing you may want to do is find a local printer, and see the will let you hang around for some printing. You can also try your chemicals in their conditions, and see if that is the problem.

The alt-photo forum is not the best place for beginner questions, as there are some personalities on there that have the propensity for being rude and dismissive of others. The best place is the B-S forum (you can get to it from their website). There is less volume on that forum, and the people are generally more helpful to beginners. In fact, many of the responses you got here are from people that are on that forum.

Persistance is the key to the platinum print. It's not like silver, where decent prints are easily achieved. However, once it is mastered, I think that pt/pd prints are more beautiful and expressive than a silver print, and ultimately are worth the effort.

I suggest you email Kevin Sullivan and find out if there are any other pt/pd printers in your zip code region. That may open up some learning opportunities for you.

---Michael

• 2 weeks later...

One minute nothing... the next minute, the world.... literally in the palm of my hand. I have made a sublime little 4x5 platinum print of my beloved seacave..... Bliss.... Strangely enough it presents itself much like a photograph..... except of course for the magical nuance... and that is everything!

At last a place to begin.

Kerik was correct, my negatives had much to much contrast.... Dense City..... (on many levels).

Thanks again everyone.......A.