M bayonet lubrication

henry_ting2

Vaseline has a very low liquifying temperature so while Leica's instructions indicate to apply a "thin" coat, realize that adjective is vague and subjective. Dip just the first millimeter of the tip of a cotton bud into the Vasline and wipe it once quickly around the flat part of the *lens* rear flanges, not the camera body, then use the dry opposite end of the cotton bud to make another wipe. That's it. If it doesn't cure the tightness, and I doubt that it will, the camera flange bayonet claws or the spring plate under the flange may be bent, worn or dirty. If you are handy with tools you can disassemble the body flange and its components and shims and clean everything in parts cleaner and reassemble. Some people would say the body will need to be recollimated but that's pure bullsh*t as long as you put everything together exactly as it was.

I would certainly clean the mount without dissasembly using a small amount of non residual petroleum type solvent (white petroleum spirit / white spirit / lighter fluid etc) on cotton bud /Q tip

before I used any kind of lubricant. Any dried previous lubricant or rubbish build-up can cause the action to tighten up. I would probably do the same to the camera mount. I have never used vaseline, but if Leica recommend it it should be ok. You probably need to wipe almost all of it off. It's probably completely wrong, but I tend to use a minimal amount of thin silicone spray lubricant on cotton bud. With regard to what Jay says, I have purchased damaged LTM / M bayonet converters which needed a bit of a twist into shape before they fitted OK, but they were visibly distorted from being dropped. Never needed to send a camera away for a CLA for this problem