Hasselblad film light leaks

jerry_robinson

I'm a relatively new Hasselblad user (not new to MF). I'm finding the film is not tight when I rewind and take it out of the magazine. My photofinisher suggested obtaining film 'cans' for 120 like 35mm comes in. Has anyone heard of these and where to get them? Any tricks to the rewinding that I'm missing?

Jerry,

<p>

I think Craig is right. But the other issue is that photofinisher is spending too much time in the darkroom. I have never used the 70mm back but it is the only one that uses "cans".

<p>

Likely, you need to 1) load properly(maybe) 2) have your back checked if the spacing is sloppy.

<p>

BTW- Hasselblad paid Ernst Wilde to write a full blown users guide. It is 40 bucks but a real gold mine for new users. Especially when you pick up older gear.

Your photofinisher may be dating himself. He could be suggesting storage containers for 120 similar to the plastic "cans" that 35mm cassettes come in, as someplace light tight to keep film after exposure and before processing, but I haven't seen any of those in years. All of the 120 film I've bought in the past 15 years, at least, came sealed in foil in a cardboard box. I do keep an old Agfa can from about 1970, made of drawn aluminum as I recall, for old times' sake, but I'm not sure where you'd find a supply today.

Film cans for 120 and 220 rolls are not going to save you from the light leaks that come from a loosely wound roll, so I agree that the equipment or loading technique should be checked. However, I believe that plastic containers with hinged tops to fit 120 and 220 are still made and are used by some for protection of exposed rolls from the elements when traveling, etc. If you get the light leak problem licked but would still like the cans, I'd check in a catalog like the one from Porter's Camera in Iowa (when I last saw one it had tons of "gadgets" and all kinds of little items like that you don't find elsewhere). They usually advertise in Shutterbug.

<a href="http://www.glazerscamera.com/index.html">Glazer's Camera Supply</a> has the plastic canisters for storing film. I use them for storing my 220 film.

<p>

Jerry: Fropm your problem description, it sounds like the paper is getting bunched up on the initial spool threading/winding. Try winding the paper on the take-up spool before inserting it into the back. That way you can make absolutely sure that it is tight.

Jerry - I am also a relatively new user of Hasselblad. Here's what I do when loading the film: I simply keep some pressure on the new roll as I wind to the arrow start marks. That results in the film being wound very tightly on the take-up spool. I have had no loosely wound film or light leaks. I also used this techniques successfully to eliminate the same problem with my Pentax 67. Regards, Bob

One of my petty vices is a fascination with toy cameras, Diana/Holga/etc. If you shoot one of these you definitely know what loosely wound film is. I usually unload in a changing bag, and use a square of aluminum foil to wrap the film roll in. Cheap, expendable, and it works for me. Haven't had any loose rolls in my YashicaMat as yet. Can't afford a Blad yet alas, but someday.

Fuji makes gray canisters designed to hold 5 rolls of 120/220 film. They're made of thick plastic and are very light/moisture resistant. There was a promo in Japan this past April whereby if you buy any10 rolls of Fuji 120/220 film, you get one free. I have several of them. To my knowledge, they are not sold (even in Japan), as I've yet to see them in the large Tokyo chain stores.

As was posted previously black plastic film containers to hold individual rolls of 120 and /or 220 can be purchased from Porters. My young daughters have pointed out that brightly colored Mini-M & M containers could serve the same purpose and are readily available and of course come filled with a treat.

<p>

Rick

• 2 weeks later...