Does anyone include a small 35mm in your medium format kit ?

conrad_poulin

Does anyone carry a small 35mm like a retina or agfa silette in

your medium format kit ? I am asking because I am thinking

about it. Not a canon or nikon but a simple viewfinder or

rangefinder to use as a backup or when the conditions are not

right for larger equipment. If so how are the two mentioned

above for this purpose. For liesure shooting non profit for

yourself type of scenic or travel. I am an avid medium format

shooter and I hope this question is not offensive.

I don't bring my 35mm when I'm shooting MF. My system is heavy enough without the thought of dragging the 35mm along too...that and then the need to bring a second type of film.

Of course...when I get to my destination, I'm always thinking, 'gee if I only had that camera or this lens...'

Conrad,

What I carry varies widely, usually depending upon where I�m going, how far I�ll have to walk, the state of my back, if I have a helper to carry something, etc. But, I often include a Leica M6 in my pack, and sometimes a digital camera as well. They add little weight, and can prove useful at times. It�s very frustrating to get out in the field and find that you have left the needed camera or lens or tripod at home. I almost always carry an M6 with me when out running about. I don�t often need it, but occasionally I�ve gotten interesting images as a result of having it ready to hand.

Cheers,

Joe Stephenson

Hello All,

I often carry a 35 mm R/F camera in the form of a Zeiss Contessa I, with its fine coated 3.5 Tessar, and compur shutter, it takes fine pictures and hardly takes up any space (this is the folding model). I usually put this in a second camera bag and let my girlfriend use it or just keep it as a back up incase my primary camera (Super Ikonta B, or Rolleiflex) suffers a mechanical problem.

While the MF or large format is the heart and soul of good nature photography we should not overlook the use of a digital compact camera as an assessory. In the past many great landscape photographers used polaroid backs to aid in setting up their large format work.Today the digital camera can perform the same function. It allows you to test the framing of various focal length lenses,you can quickly bracket expose with digital and get the best exposure, The histogram feedback quickly identifies burn out areas and dynamic range. But perhaps of most value is the automatic recording of image information which saves taking notes in longhand. While there are numerous small digital cameras which fit these requirements I have found that the Nikon cp 5000 or its newer replacement the cp 5400 performs this function very well.

Like Joe i allways drag my Leica M6 with me, usually with a 35/2.0 attached and sometimes with the 50/2.0 in my pocket. Adds little weight and comes in handy for snapshots, a pocket camera like the contax someone suggested would probably do the job too. There´s lots of times when it´s just not very convenient to set up a tripod with the hasselblad or sinar.

I now usually have a digital camera with me for snapshots even when I bring a full MF kit. For carrying ease I bring my Epson PC900 (3000Z?) and if I don't mind carrying a little more I'll bring an Olympus E-10.

Like Lawrence Smithers mentioned already, I find the digital cameras with their LCD screens a useful tool for previewing shots when I'm not really sure what I want, or want to check contrast ranges. They're also faster to use and already hanging around my neck on a camera strap versus my MF camera which is tucked away in my camera bag until I'm ready to use it -- so the digital camera gets used more for grab shots.

If I'm travelling, I don't really want to hand a digicam to a stranger and ask them to take my photo -- many people don't really know how to use even the point-and-shoot digicams it seems... they think they've taken the shot when the camera just stops down and adjust the shutter speed to give you a better idea of what you'll get. So an Olympus Stylus Epic usually gets brought along as well on vacations.

Just my two cents...

Often carry some bit of OM gear. I have used the spot meter numerous times (never got the spot attachment for the Gossen).

For "leisure shooting non profit for yourself type of scenic or travel" situations I will often have the OM and a couple of lenses. It might sound heretical but it has to be said for many, 35mm is a good format for this purpose. Well, maybe not for scenic, but for a lot of snapshotty travel stuff (especially if burdened with a non-photographer).

Or a RF is great. If off to the Art Gallery with a friend say, then a RF (or small SLR) with one lens, a couple of filters and b+w film is a good kit. I have a Yashica Lynx-14E with a 1.4 lens that fits the bill and am seeking a Olympus RC or similar.

I must confess to just getting a good 2nd hand compact digital for scouting around and record keeping shots. Feel a little odd, though, and promise to never let the MF gear see it.

Conrad,

my tipical photo outfit for street photography is composed by a Mamiya 6 body with 3 optics (50+80+150) and a LeicaM6 with 35/1.4. Sometimes with an additional 75/1.4. The reason for carrying the Leica is not backup reasons, since Mamiya is very affordable, but to shoot in the evening or night or indoor in available light.

In some case I tried also a small digital camera (Canon S40), but I came back to Leica, since the digital point-and-shoot cameras have a

shutter lag that very often prevents you from taking candid pictures and "caching the moment". In addition to that, Leica allows you to get

results that are reasonable, when compared to MF.

Cheers Elio