Holga manipulations/modifications

tracey_berg

I recently saw something about people modifying their Holga cameras

to change the size of the image on the negative. Does anyone know

anything about this? Has anyone ever done other modifications to

their Holga? The only thing I have done was take a piece of the film

box and fold it and wedge it on top of the spool so it winds

smoother.

Go to www.holgamods.com and read up there- I think they have a Holga manual online, among other things.

Also, look up the Holga at www.freestylesales.biz, and you will find an online Holga manual. Freestyle is a good place to buy these things, also.

There is a mask that the film passes over that makes the 6x4.5 image. You can either remove this, or file/ saw out the hole to make it into a 6x6 mask.

This mask 1) controls image size 2) holds the film flatter 3) holds the film in the proper plane for focus 4) holds the film against the red window to avoid light leaks there 5) has rails at the side that help prevent light leaks and guide the film 6) has baffles in front that help avoid light leaks. Lots of people just remove this piece altogether, but this would seem to be the source of many of the Holga deficiences that it is so famous for.

You also have to shift the little red window slider to show the proper numbers on the back of the film- shift so the arrow points at "12" after you make it into a 6x6.

I did an extreme modification. I attached a Bronica Polaroid back to mine (Yes, I do know they make pre-made ones, but they're $100). The required altering the lens focal plane. I also put a screw in the bottom to allow me to change it from bulb to normal mid-roll. Once I can afford to blow another $25 on Polaroids I'll post some pics from it.

i have an 80mm? f./1.9 lens in a shutter ( not a wide angle)

that would make a great holga.

but after reading the GLEEFUL ( silly) comments in the manual,

I would rather pass up getting anything like a holga.

talk about light leaks and taping up the entire camera and

YUUUUCK. no thanks.

my rcomar w/ 120 back or a falling plate camera

or a home brew lens on the 2x3 speed graphic but not anything that crude.

there are probably decent 120 12 & 16 exp cameras out there. like old folders.

I found a site that showed how to remove the lens. I dug out the f10 aperture and that made it closer to f8 and then added a sunny aperture about f16. I cut the mask and stuck in some cardboard baffles cut from a 4x5 film box and I don't need to tape the camera at all( except a strip over the red window). I have also seen them with extension tubes, and lens hoods. One crafty person I know made a pretty basic motor drive and remote trigger to mount beneath his car so could take worms eye photographs while rally driving. The first time he used it the whole thing (and a substantial part of his car) was destroyed by a large rock.

Ahhh fun and games.

If you remove the 16 frame insert you must tape over the two

small holes at the top of the film chamber as light leakage might

occur.The Holga is a great camera,I am a serious photographer

using Hassleblad & Nikon gear but still carry the Holga with me

constantly.Ignore the adverse comments and enjoy your Holga.