in summer trainning it stayed with in it's case and in my camera bag,

I took it out to use it a couple weeks ago and found it not to be

working at all. The film will not wind, I depressed the shutter and

the button (not the shutter itself) will not return. I took it to a

Neptune dealer in the Long Island area and he said that it would not

be worth getting it repaired. Im not sure what the problem is though

it may be because of moisture. I love this camera, should I send it

to get repaired or relace it, and if so where. I am relitively new to

the Hudson valley area and have troubles getting off post.

This is a common problem with OM-2s (in other words it happend to me, check you batteries if you have not done that already). I have had this problem fixed by Morgantown Camera and Video Repair in Morgantown WV, see http://www.mcvr.com/. I believe the cost was about $100, that also included cleaning the camera. I have also sent an OM-2SP camera to the "Guru" of Olympus camera repairs at Camtech Inc. in NY, see www.zuiko.com. Their prices are higher, but they are the best. It is easy to mail you camera for repair, in fact at the Camtech web site they tell you how to pack and send camera to them. Good luck !

John Hermanson at Camtech is The Man. If you want your camera repaired, he'll do it right, honestly, and efficiently.

As for whether or not your OM2 is "not worth getting repaired," you should consider that any used one you buy will cost in the neighborhood of $200--and you won't know its history or when it might need a general tune-up and cleaning.

At least you know your camera. Spending $150-$200 to get it fixed isn't so much when you consider that all cameras need a CLA (clean, lube, and adjust) every so often. If you send it to Hermanson, you will get the CLA and the repair. See his website for all the specs.

Hermanson has worked on my cameras, and I'm happy with the result.

A guy in a photo chain here in Canada told a friend of mine to toss her OM into the wastebasket, everything was loose, she needed a new camera, etc. It was actually the focussing mechanism on her 50. Since I had an extra I gave her one of mine. Meanwhile, she had it kept in a drawer for almost a year and probably would have tossed it eventually[this sort of thing probably happens more to women than to men]. By the way, she's a highly talented illustrator and takes stupendous photos with it, just not gear-minded.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the mirror locked up on the camera as well? It may be that you just need new batteries. Try a new set of 357 batteries and turn the camera to reset, you may find that it does not need any work at all.

If it turns out that it needs work I would echo what others have said here, it is well worht fixing, and John Hermanson of CamTech is the best to do it. I have had him work on a number of my Olympus items and always been pleased with the work, he is not the cheapest, or the fastest, but he is honest and the best!