Stripes, Light Leak, Development....

Hey people! I hope you can help me. I recently bought a Minolta Dimage

Dual III film scanner to scan my negatives. I recognized stripes on

pictures that are underexposed, and later saw that little bit of these

stripes are also in normally exposed pictures. After playing with

settings in the scanner software, I couldn't eliminate them. I can't

see them on professional prints from the same negatives, but maybe the

lab removed them. Do you think it's the scanner or maybe a light leak

in the backdoor of the camera. I'll try to attach a sample picture...

Thanks a lot!

-Florian<div>005ZAi-13714884.jpg.832d1c6e78725b4a78eae390fb2c75e2.jpg</div>

That may be streaking due to uneven development. Fogging from light leaks usually is seen only along the long edge of the film, if from the top or bottom of the film door; or randomly as vertical fogging, if from a leak around the door hinge or latch area.

Scanning is usually unforgiving of any flaws in a negative but I would think these marks would appear on conventionally made prints as well.

I've seen odd artifacts produced during scanning when the scanner and computer weren't cooperating (for example, when using a SCSI scanner without adequate termination). But I've never seen any marks like this that were due to scanning or software problems.

Hi.I have had scanner banding when I had bought my Scan Elite II and used the ICE. This was due to: 1 The Minolta sw had to be replaced to a newer version, and when I used VueScan Ed send me a newer version of hes SW. But still can I see it in very underexposed negatives. Here had I to disconectr the ICE. But the Dual III have no ICE, but only a SW dust remower, so it can not be the same problem. I had also problem with equal lines but not exact stright border of them , when i had a not good development, the film had to be once in the blech fix and the later baths, to minimize the problem.

My advise is: Check on the Minolta web if there are a newer wersion of the sw, and if you are using VueScan or Silverfast check if there are a newer version of the sw. I belive the VueScan have some corecctions on the latest releases that fix some Dual III problems. If that not help, check if the lines are stright or if it can be in the development.

Regards Hans A

• 4 months later...

I use a leafscan, which is very old equiptment. Today i noticed the scan lines were REALLY bad.

I scrambled about trying to figure out where the noise was comming from and looked to my monitor. I moved my monitor and CPU as far from the scanner as possible, as well as moved my power strip which was sitting right next to it's power supply and I/O interface.

I cleaned up the cords so that none of them were near the scanner and moved my power strip away as well.

The scanner is functioning perfectly now.

While I trust that a new Dimage is better sheilded than a 15 year old scanner, what I am saying is that it is obviously possible for a scanner to pick up EMF and RF interferance from other appliances.

Try moving the scanner away from sources of radiation.