Info needed on Fuji 240mm �9 A

f._william_baker

I need info from any users of Fuji 240mm �9 A lens. One question is

do I really need to fill the gap between my 210mm Symmar and my 305mm

G-Claron. I'm looking to lighten my load when out shooting

landscapes. Also, I can always use the purchase on my 2003 taxes.

Lens will be used on Master Technika. Thanks in advance for any and

all comments. FWB

No doubt, it's a very fine lens, it's small, light, and takes small filters, etc.

As to aesthetics: I wouldn't get a 240 if you already have a fine 210, which you do. If you allow yourself to slightly crop an image made with your 210, you have a 240mm lens already. If you can move the camera a few paces closer, you can also eliminate the difference without cropping.

I like to think that with my 150, 140, and 400, I also have (by virtue of a judicial amount of cropping) a 180, a 300, and a 500 - all for the same low, low price. In that regard, you might consider your 305 as "also", a 360... Spend your money elsewhere, that's my 2 cents.

If you're really going from 210mm to 305mm, the 240mm will feel redundant. I used to be in the very same situation and sold the 240 Fuji A to finance a Mamiya RZ kit. The 210mm gets used all the time. The 305mm was just the right distance from the 210mm to be a "keeper". But that lovely 240mm just took up space in the kit and was, literally, never used.

If I didn't already have lenses longer or shorter, I'd look that direction instead.

I believe there are situations where you simply can't move a few paces closer (don't fall over the railing!). I also feel that if you are shooting large format it is partially because you appreciate the greater negative area and the resultant freedom from grain and the smaller magnification required to make a large print. So, cropping, while necessary in some instances, is not something I want to plan on doing if I can avoid it. In fact, what I have discovered is that smaller differences in lens focal lengths seem to make a bigger difference than I ever thought noticeable. I don't like hauling around glass that I won't use, but a 240, particularly that 240 is in my mind an indispensable lens. For 4x5 it has huge coverage which is great for architectural subjects. It's also a very sharp optic as well as small and convenient in that it takes the same 52mm filters many of my other lenses do. I'm not much of a short lens user, but I do seem to "see" in the 200mm to 380mm range. In that part of the focal length spectrum, I wouldn't think it overkill to have lenses an inch or an inch and a half apart! That doesn't mean I would pack all of them. I might keep a couple in the car so I could at least go back and get the perfect focal length for the subject I have stumbled upon. Just another view.

First of all: I don't know anything about that particular length, nor is that length anywhere near the top of my wish list.

But I've been filling holes myself, precisely because it isn't always possible to go closer. I now use 90, 120, 135, 150, 180, 210, 265, and 360mm. So I'm looking - more or less half-heartedly - for 300, 110 and 500mm.

But I often "crop" by switching from 4x5" to 9x12cm film...

I was being facetious of course but for the record now on 8-22 I was out enjoying the trusty 'dorff 810 and was working a '40's Chevy truck up in Belmont Nevada. I used the 121 Super Angulon to distort the grille and then moved out for a regular wedge shot. There was a steep hill behind me about 8 feet away from the truck that limited my travel severely and there were buildings out beyond the Chev that I didn't want in the composition. My first thought was the 9 1/2" Dagor. Put it on and it wasn't right. Made the trek back to my truck and got the 270 G-Claron and the 305 also to save steps. The 270 was <u><i>the</i></u> lens. Nothing else would have worked for the shot. Laugh all you like.

Thanks for all the answers and advice from all. That's why this is a great forum. In reading the answers/suggestions I found that as I suspected the gap is too close from 210mm to 305mm for what I want to do. As I said I need something to purchase this year for tax purposes so as I have enough Leica and Nikon stuff as well as the Hassey that I don't use that much it looks like more Speedotron stuff. With do the lens next year. Thanks again for all the info. FWB

Another way of thinking .... I own and use the Fujinon 240 A frequently. When I am

traveling ultra light it, along with a 135 Apo Sironar-S is one of the two lenses I carry.

IMHO the difference in the space it occupies as well as the weight is a big difference

from a 210 Apo symmar/Sironar or similar. It is so tiny and compact; not to mention

that it covers 8x10 as well so serves a dual function for me.

I ised to carry a 210 Apo Symmar, in my case as I used the 240 more and more it was

the 210 that became redundant and I replaced it with a 180. It's all in the way YOU

see the world.