Advice on buying a used Contax T3?

peter_kim2

I was down at my local camera store and they had a nice looking

Contax T3 in the window for $510. I think this is a decent price but

I heard a few negative things about it. Specificly that the film

spool or the film sprokets or something like that can break or rub

down? Can someone please tell me what I should look at before buying

it? And maybe anything else I should look at to make sure it is ok?

It seems in good codition from the outside and has a 14 day return

and 90 in-store warrenty...

What I have heard on the Contax discussion lists is that some people have experienced problems with the takeup spool because it appears (My T3 has film in it now or I would check) that there is only one plastic 'tooth' to start the film moving onto the spool and that it has been known to wear down or even break off. I haven't had that problem and have put quite a lot of rolls through it.

However, I did have a problem with the built-in flash. I generally have the flash turned off by default and on the day when I needed to use it and turned it back on, the camera would go into a 30 second charging cycle but never charge the flash. I changed the batteries with no effect.

Contax fixed it under warranty but it took a couple of weeks to get it back. Now I have the SA-2 flash bracket which allows me to use the TLA200 from my G2 but the camera still uses the on-board flash on when the distance is close enough.

In any event, if you have a 14 day return, then put it through a real series of testing during that period. It is a fantastic little tool but you want one that works correctly!

I love my T3 - it's simply the best compact film camera out there. However, at that price, my personal preference would be to purchase a new one. I purchased mine during a "Contax Day" from a very large and reliable source for (I think) $585 plus shipping. This isn't much more, and a new one will carry a 3 year warranttee, which provides some peace of mind.

I have heard a few reports of the film take-up spool weakness, though I haven't experienced it. What I did experience was a failure of the lens to retract fully during the first roll. I returned it and received a new one without question, and it has been flawless ever since.

The results are stunning and absolutely the equal of my former Contax Aria plus Zeiss Distagon 35mm/2.8 lens, all in a tiny and very elegant package.

By the way, if you do purchase it used, be sure it comes with the very nice leather pouch.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing you experiences. That film take up thing is kinda worrisome. Also its kinda disturbing about the lens not retracting. I wonder if this says a lot about the build quality of the Contax T3. I have heard nothing but good things about the lens, but of course that doesnt really matter is the film dosesnt load or the lens malfunctions. I was hopping Kyocera cared as much about quality control as the original Contax was famous for.

Don't be so discouraged. The quality is superb. Every product has some problems. If you want something that will last 40 years, you will have to get a Leica M (which of course also isn't failure-free or perfect). If you want the best point and shoot there is, get the Contax T3.