Few Words: They Say the Blond Dogs Taste Better

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a little "drop-kick" dog like that, in summer, maybe a nice Syrah. With the main course -- probably something more substantial like a retriever or a greyhound (they've always got too many of those) -- probably a really big Cabernet Sauv, or maybe, just maybe, a Pinot Noir. Yum!

Seeing dogs and cats butchered bothers me a lot because the practice clashes with

my own values. I have been in Chinese villages where this is practiced but these

people are dirt poor

and dogs, cats, rats are cheaper than fish. But for businessmen to eat dogs so he can

get a huge hard-on is probably a bit more repulsive to me. Anyway dogs and cats are

in abundance but people who kill, sell and eat endangered species i.e. whales deserve

to be cursed for generations. Further the scums of the earth has to be the kind that

kill for sport - not the Ted Nugent types who actually eat the kill but more like the

fox hunting idiots across the pond. Bastards! And yes I do have the right to my own

prejudices, PC or otherwise.

Hey, as long as you guys are laughing with me, and not at me...<P>

<i>Martin, the same areas where cannibalism is practiced also have a lot of inter-tribal warfare. They kill one another with the best weapons they have. In the West, we also have inter-tribal warfare and we also kill one another with the best weapons we have. But we don't, in addition, eat each other. So to say that the West and these cannibal societies are morally equivalent just isn't so. Surely that is not what you were implying.<P>

-- Robert Byrd , July 23, 2003; 03:10 P.M. </i><P>

Robert, I'm not sure which way you think that moral scale is tilting, but at least the cannibals aren't letting perfectly good fresh animal corpses go to waste.

Robert,

I hear you. I was sort of kidding, actually. I'm a vegetarian because I think the alternative is disgusting, not immoral. Killing something and leaving it to rot is more offensive to me. Killing people is never a good thing. A sound beating now and again, maybe...

Peter,

Thanks!

I hear some USA-bashing in this thread, and thought I'd toss ya'll a bone: we ain't that bad. There's a bunch of people from lots of other places that'd love to be living here right now. Good or bad, we've got freedom of just about everything: religion, association, speech, you name it. We don't care about your religion, or if you even have one. We won't ask about your politics, religion, dietary habits, sexual preference, country of origin or caste on a job or mortgage application. It doesn't matter to us if you're born out of wedlock. Just come on in, get yourself a job, and mind your own business.

Talked to a taxi driver in New York last year, a fella from somewhere in the Middle East. Wherever it is he comes from, nobody gets along. Seems like they're always squabbling about religion or who their kids are allowed to date or some centuries-old argument or whatever. But over here, he's got a bunch of neighbors from the other side of his particular hometown fence. And they all get along just fine. No squabbling. He was surprised about that, but getting used to it. Seems like once folks get here, they're all too busy working and paying their mortgages and sending their kids to school to worry about who the neighbors pray to.

Funny how that works.

<I>for businessmen to eat dogs so he can get a huge hard-on</I><P>

Hmmm, that just never quite did it for me, but to each his own.<P>

Robert, hate to say it, but as a kid watching Monty Python gave me vertigo. Now it just gives me hysterics, but I'm still catching up. Haven't yet seen the rat restaurant bit.<P>

When I was in college (some time ago) it had become widely accepted in Anthro circles that canibalism had never been demonstrated to be a widespread practice. And there was considerable contention as to whether it had ever really been practiced at all, at least on an organized social basis. And it was pretty much accepted that canibalism no longer existed in an organized way, anywhere on earth.<P>

Today, you see it referred to anecdotally, usually at second, third, or fourth hand (someone knows someone who heard from someone else, that . . .) as being common practice - sometimes in Indonesia, more often in Africa. The current <I>Rolling Stone</I> is a perfect example. But it isn't just the popular press you see this in; last year, in an article in the <I>London Review of Books</I>, a white African made reference to canibalism in the bush as though it were established fact. And no one challenged this assertion. My question is, has any of this ever been documented? And in the absence of documentation, isn't it irresponsible to propagate such notions?

Actually, the current issue of <I>Rolling Stone</I> has supposed first-hand accounts - so it isn't quite a "perfect example". But those accounts are from drug-addled, war-crazed teens who've been brutalized since just after infancy - and who, further, may have been "taking a piss" at the reporter's expense. But I don't want to turn the dogmeat debate into a discussion about canibalism, real or not.

<i>Ok, I lied. I'm not a vegetarian. I had chicken tonight. I think it was chicken.<P>

Where does the gelatin come from in film?<P>

-- Paul Rigas , July 24, 2003; 12:20 A.M. Eastern </i><P>

Paul, I don't eat film. Banishing all things containing animal products from one's life makes one a vegan. Veganism, I think, is technically next to impossible. Even if your shoes aren't leather, they were probably glued together with bone glue. Not yours as in Paul's, but yours as in, say, Moby's, for example.

I once wrote a car commercial aimed at a younger target

audience where I made the facetious claim "contains no whale

products".

The corporate lawyers made me remove the line because I didn't

have documentation that the car didn't contain whale products.

Overly cautious? Or really scary?

How many of our beloved cats and dogs die in the Humane Societies every year, it is in the MILLIONS. Where do the go after?

I don't begrudge the Chinese, Korean, Thai, and as I was just informed by a Vietnamese collegue, the Vietnamese for eating dogs, rats, snakes...for food.

Here in Tejas there are horse farms that export meat. Some of it is available here.