cay_tolson

My Ricoh GR1s has stopped working for no apparent reason,

and i've lost the lcd screen. Does anyone know where i can

take/send it to be repaired?

I'm in the NYC area, so if anyone knows of a place in the city that

would be much appreciated.

There was a similar posting from 2000, with no really helpful

answers.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but it likely a better move (economically) to simply get a new/used camera. Unless the fix is very easy or unless there are personal reasons for keeping the camera it is likely a used K-mount Pentax will offer the same (or more) of a camera at less cost. For example you can probably get a used Pentax Super Program (TTL*/manual/shutter Priority*/Aperture priority/Full Program*/DOV/moter drive option) for less than it will take for you to repair your camera.

* The above features may not be possible with your lens selection.

No an SLR won't sub for a GR1. I bought mine in the UK from Robert White and I'm glad I did because I had to send it back to England for warranty repairs. The distributor in the UK is Johnson Photopia, which is also where repairs are conducted (Robert White does not do the repairs). You might call them and ask if they would do a non-warranty repair. Don't be unrealistic and expect a quote though. Considering shipping back and forth and the repairs..... well, as the others pointed out you are probably better off getting a new one or an alternative.

Actually this is something to do: Call up Rollei (yes Rollei) and tell them you have a Rollei Prego micron (same as a Ricoh R1) and where you can get it repaired...they will point you to a repair guy somewhere in NJ. This guy repairs Ricoh GR1 too...I have forgotten his name. If you go this route could you please post his name on photo.net.

Hey Cay, I have the surefire guy that can solve your problem. He is a little reclusive, but Im sure he would talk to you. His name is gary haymes, and his email is kidquigley@aol.com. I know he could fix it if it was a goebel, he is great with that french stuff, but he can help with this also. I hope you find this posting to be more helpfull than that 2000 one...