How fragile are the big lenses?

jay dougherty

I have a Canon 500mm f/4 IS lens. How fragile are these big lenses

in general? Even though it stays in the case while traveling, I do

wonder what the inevitable vibrations, jostling, and minor bumps

against walls do to the inner workings of the lens. Can you share

your experiences?

Jay

Have you ever seen a papparatzi lense?? They tend to look like they have been put through a cement mixer yet still seem to function fine. My 100-400 has survived a 18000 mile tour around australia rattling around the back of the wagon with no ill effects that I can notice. I admit i am concerned about taking it on my next trip (motorcycles around the world) but there is no point having it and leaving it wrapped up at home. Your 500L is slightly more of an investment... however I would expect it to be far more robust than the zoom design 100-400lens. One thing I would say though is dont let airport baggage handlers anywhere near it.

TC

I should think that the Canon pro-level lenses are as durable as the equivalent Nikkors. My Nikkor 500 f/4 has also bounced across a lot of rough country while in its trunk case, and has collided with a lot of foreign objects when it wasn't. The real place to be observant is the mounting between the lens and the body. It would be better to jar the lens than the body in terms of stress placed on this junction. I don't have a VR Nikkor yet, so I am interested in learning of Nikon user's experiences, especially is regards to the stabilizing mechanism.

My manual focus Nikon 500 P f4 fell off a tripod on to asphalt from a height of three feet. The lens mount ripped away from the camera, stayed attached to the lens. A $250 repair fixed the Mount. The optics checked out fine and it continues to provide razor sharp pix with accurate color. I've been jostling that thing in backpacks for years, used it it swamps, desert, tundra, glaciers... However, I baby it whenever possible. Protect the front element with the longest hood available. Keep the barrel clean after every use. Clean the front element except when really needed. I go to great lengths to keep the unit dry. I set it on a soft pillow when driving during vehicle shoots. It gets carried on with me on planes. Be smart and minimize the risks, but don't be afraid to use it well. I'll never sell this lens. It is, for its focal length and speed, quite lightweight and robust. I have been wondering if Nikon's autofocus super-teles are as tough?