I just acquired a Fuji GSW690III rangefinder and use it as well as

my Hasselblad. When loading Ilford roll film in the Hasselblad film

back, one uses a different alignment marker than for other films. I

have always thought this was because Ilford films have a different

thickness that "confuses" the frame counter in the film back. Is

this true, and if so, are there particular steps in loading Ilford

roll film in the Fuji?

Thanks!

Jeff, what do you mean by aligning the 120/220 film to the markers?

If I remember right my GSW has a red dot near the take up spool, to which I align the broad arrow on the film (vs the dotted line marked special equipment (whatever that is??)). That seems to work for me.

I don´t have an instruction booklet to my camera (which I purchased second hand from KEH.com in Atlanta).

My GW690III has two red dots - they are the buttons to release the spools!

The film alignment arrow is part of the silver tram lines that guide the film. The arrow is at the right hand end of the top set of tram lines.

As far as I can remember, the only precaution that you need to take when loading film is to put a little pressure on the spool of film to offer some resistance as you wind on the film. This ensures that the film is tight and that you get even spacing.

The poster of this question has a good point. It is very difficult to use any ilford film in a hasselblad camera if you have the films developed by dip and dunk. The reason for this is that the paper leader of ilford film is a different length to Kodak film. The hasselblad is set up for Kodak film. Therefore if one lines up the arrows on the hasselblad insert, you are very likely to get a clip through your last frame. One workaround is to align the arrows at 11 O'clock rather than 12 O'clock (although this is a bit and miss).

The good news is that the this is irrelvant in every other medium format camera either because of automatic starts (2.8F, super isolette, modern autofocus fujis etc) or becuase the spacing is narrow enough to compensate (Old fuji rangefinders, all 645 cameras etc).

I use Ilford Delta 400 if all my medium format cameras but I have to use Tri-X in the hasselblad. Someday, I will seek to have all my backs adjusted by the manufacturer.

Thank you to all the people that got back to me on this! I don't have the manual to the camera either, and have loaded by lining up the film to the left red release button! Thx for pointing me (pun intended) to the arrow on the right tram line! I guess that means my first rolls will have clipped frames at the beginning.