One last photo-please critique

abbie_benson

Hi Abbie

I think the photo is fine. Detail is good, the landscape is tilted, but I guess that's the way it was created. The Sky is fine also, I think. A red filter would also effect the green and the reds. My guess, comming from a farming community, is that the Barn might be red or reddish brown?? For me it's a technically correct photo, but it doesn't do much for me. It doesn't hold my interest for long. That being said, I will tell you it's better than any landscape I've ever done. I stink at landscapes.

Rob

Abbie, a question that I've found helpful is, "what made me want to take this shot." Would you mind answering it for us (me)? Before knowing more, the only critique I'll offer is that that white thing in the lower left is Really white.

Abbie,I hope your "last" attempt at landscapes means you most recent rather your final attempt. I can't help you with scanning because I can't scan well myself. However, I will offer a few non pixel suggestions.

I don't see any detail in your shadow areas. Some people may think this adds drama. I don't. I like to see the siding boards on the side of the barn and the branches of trees in shade. Empty shadows look harsh to me. This is a very common problem, easily corrected. The solution is more exposure. I routinely use a film speed of 200 for Tri X. (Development time must be tailored to the increase in exposure.) The other, related cause of lack of shadow detail if filtration. What the filter does to the sky it also does to the shadows.

The way an image is printed can convey a lot of what the image maker was feeling at the time. If I was printing this image, I would use less contrast. A softer image would convey more of a feeling of a warm place with happy memories. A harsher print would convey more of a sense of foreboding or ruggedness. The image is yours, and should convey your emotions, not mine. As a viewer, I get a harsher feeling from the way the image is presented.

I don't care for red filter skies. I would probably have used either no filter or perhaps a mild yellow. Some would call that BORING. I call it more natural. My suggestion would be to give yourself a choice of negatives to print. You have found a pleasing composition and framed it well. (That's the hard part, and you have done it well.) Now, with the camera on a tripod, make several exposures. Start with no filter. (bracket exposures with this, also.) Then make a series with your mildest yellow filter. Then progress through your stronger filters. Yes, include the red, so that you can see the difference. Learn from your images.

Buy a copy of Fred Picker's Zone VI Workshop. It's out of print now, but is readily available used. It is a very solid and readable little book which will help you quite a bit.

Keep making images.

PS Your "old Nikon F3" is two generations newer than my two Nikon F bodies, and they are still going strong. Don't make the mistake of buying another camera instead of more film.

One challenge with landscapes is deciding what to put in the frame. What I msiss here is any strong point of interest, especially in the foreground. You might think of landscapes in terms of layers -- foreground, midground, background. Here, the fields are in the foreground, the buildings and trees are in the midground, and the sky forms the background. Powerful landscape images need strong elements in all "grounds," or they need a strong point of interest in one place which is then set off by more neutral features in the other "grounds." One way to think about landscape images is as a collection of forms, not objects. Ask yourself what are the forms in an image and how are they related in the image. Lines that direct your attention in the image are also important.

I find this particular image cluttered and without major points of interest. Others may disagree, but I do not find the image striking, involving, or arresting.

Look at books of landscape photos you admire. Ask yourself what you like in the images that you find particularly interesting. Imagine how to look for those features in the image you want to make. When you see a scene that you find interesting, think about what interests you and figure out how to make that aspect of the scene stand out in your photo. Move the camera around, find a good angle of view, pay attention of depth of field.

I als hope you try, try again. Part of photography is talent; most of it is learned behavior. Try, see what works, and try, try again.

Well

I saw the farm in the valley and the different color yellow and green in the fields, The Reddish barn and the white house, the light lavendar wild flowers in the corner all under a blue sky with changing clouds. It felt peaceful and I hoped to capture it. but All I had was B&W film. Maybe If I had color it would have made a difference?? I do hate scanning.

Thanks again

"Keep" Trying Abbie

Abby, your pics are not bad. So, why do you want to give up landscape photography with the posting of your "last picture"?

Or did you mean your "latest picture" instead? I am confused.

I guess photographers are visual persons, not lingual ones, am I right?

Abbie, you probably are aware of these fundamentals but BEFORE I take a landscape shot or any other photo, I invariably ask myself the following four questions: What is my true subject? What am I trying to convey? How can I enhance the image and lastly, simplify. Stay the course and shoot lots of film. Cheers! Rick Gray

• 2 months later...

Dan is spot on, this image is much better than it views on line. Also, it shows up in

APS as having only a gray channel (?), so you have dumped a lot of info somewhere

along the line. I submit that it is your scanning/editing skills that are not on the level

of your photography. Without a proper scan and edit it is meaningless to critque

shadow densities, filters etc. as they are probably sufficient on the neg. Go to

scantips.com, or the scanning forum here and start learning this thing. And keep on

shooting...jf