Favorite developer for plus-x 220

scott_dordick

I recently (not by choice) used a roll of Plus-x 220-125 (shot at

100) for some studio portraits. I have not used plus-x in many years,

but in the past I have always found the tonality of Plus-x to be a

little flat. Does anybody have a developer / time / agg. combo that

might give the film some sparkle? Rodinal?

Try Kodak's own Microdol-X at 1:3!

This gives you moderate contrast, subtle tonality and fine grain.

If you use the Microdol-X stock solution, the contrast gets higher,

the grain even finer but the tonality isn't perfect anymore.

Plus-X and Microdol-X are my favorite combination. And I tested

a damn lot of films/developers!

Guido

Scott:

My only complaint about Microdol-X is it knocks the edge of the grain chrystals, which tends to leave the image a little soft. That's how it gives the impression of smaller grain. It's great for portraits, where sharp as a tack images are not as desireable. But if you use Plus-X for landscape or illustration work, I would go with one of the other developers mentioned. I like the Delta 100/Ilfosol combination much better for non-portrait work. Just my 2 cents.

Victor Lioce

This may sound a bit boring and common, but since going to a cold light, my easiest printing Plus-X (FP4, too) negatives are done in D-76 1:1. I shoot it rated at 100 (usually incident metered and my true, measured speed) and develop normal to + 10% depending on the original contrast conditions. With my equipment and techniques (30 sec very gentle inversion), I find I'm burning and dodging less and still not blocking up highlights, but retaining decent shadow detail, too. I find this a nice, in-between compromise of grain edge/definition and smooth tonal separations for general photography in varying light conditions. I won't bore you with all of the combos I tried over the years but I found some that were interesting and worked well and the only one that really stands out as a system I almost went to was a line that Paterson was promoting some years back. I went to buy more and couldn't readily find it and decided there wasn't much future in getting married to that one at the time.