Cutting down 4 x 5 sheet film for use in MF cameras

marv_soloff

I now have about half a dozen cameras that take cut/pack film in

2 1/4 x 3 1/4 or 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 formats. Film packs, I know, are

long gone, and so are these sizes of sheet film. Has anyone had real experience in cutting down 4 x 5 sheet film to these smaller formats?

<p>

Tips, techniques, comments would be appreciated. Has anyone ever

built a 4 x 5 sheet film trimmer?

<p>

Regards,

<p>

Marv Soloff

marvins@ngc.com

B & W sheet film is still available in 2-1/4 x 3-1/4" size from both Kodak and Ilford on special order from many photo shops.

<p>

For other emulsions, you can tape guides onto a trimmer (tape is OK although I made mine from plexiglass) and use a plier-like paper punch to form an orientation notch.

<p>

Check out the newsgroup rec.photo.equipment.medium-format.

<p>

-RK-

I have used small trimmers like the Boston 4x6 trimmer too good effect.

Cutting down 4x5 film can be done with the placement of tape on the trimmer. Another tip might be to use ortho film so that you could get used to trimming the film under a safelight before you do it blind. It will allow you to practise without wasting film.

<p>

Good Luck,

<p>

A.T. Seliotis

I agree with the others who have answered before. I just made some guides from an old wooded ruler that I can screw into the base of an old paper cutter. (It still cut well). It is thick enough I can feel it well in the dark. I cut both 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and 3 1/4 x 4 1/4. After a few minor adjustments it goes very well.

• 8 months later...
I have the Bronica ETRSi camera with a polaroid back. To my knowledge they don't make a back that will take 4 x 5 sheet film. I don't see why you can't cut a 4 x 5 piece of film and place it in the back. Then put a polaroid pack on top of it to hold the film flat. If anyone has tried this, I would like to know. I could get four 6 x 4.5 negatives if the film was cut carefully, but two would be more realistic. If the cost of one piece of 4 x 5 is more than a roll of 120, it would not make to much sence to try this, except you can get some films in 4 x 5 that are not in 120. You can simply shoot one picture on a roll of 120 and throw the rest of the roll away.

• 1 year later...
Um, you (Kenneth Williams) must be getting screwed on your sheet film - Adorama shows (Aug Shutterbug, only one handy) for example 4 x 5 VPS at 1.69/sheet, bought in tens. VPS 120 is 3.39. You can get 2 6 x 9 frames from the 4 x 5 for a cost of $.85/shot. (Cutting 9 frames from 8 x 10 your cost is $.67/shot) You can get 8 6 x 9 frames on 120, for a cost of $.42/shot. Looked at another way, 1-2 shots 4 x 5 film is cheaper, 3 shots 4 x 5 film is cheaper assuming you keep the leftover cut piece, 4 shots is a toss-up, and 5 or more shots a partial roll of 120 is cheaper. (TX is actual cheaper as cut 8 x 10s - $.24/shot if you buy 50 sheets vs. $.28/shot on 120.) The difference is with sheet film you can process each of those shots differently; the 120 roll all has to be processed the same.

• 5 months later...