Rollei 3.5F: Missing Serial Number

ben_hughes

If it is a type I, II or III F having the earlier body style, the number should be etched onto the top of the nameplate. If it is a later so called "whiteface" model, the number should appear on the face plate below the taking lens. If your camera is one of the earlier models, the original nameplate has been changed out for some reason. Perhaps the original was mangled or lost. Look the camera over carefully for any other evidence that it was cosmetically upgraded using parts. I am not aware you will find the serial number repeated anywhere else on the camera, but maybe so. As a practical matter, it shouldn't matter if you are happy with the camera, are not concerned with strict originality and you didn't pay a premium for it. I recently purchased a 3.5 E3, which is essentially a nonmetered F with the EV interlock system of the Es. The serial #, which would have been etched onto the top of the name plate was missing. The original owner had retrofitted the camera with a factory Rollei E meter upgrade kit that came with a numberless nameplate. Unfortunately, the owner made the mod and the original numbered plate is lost to history. The camera is still original, as the lense numbers are consistent with the produciton run, but it's value is less. On the positive side, I paid less for an otherwise original camera. Oh, well.

3.5 F Type 1,2,3,&4 has ser # above nameplate.

3.5 E Type 1 has ser # above nameplate.

3.5 E Type 2 has ser # below taking lens.

3.5 E2 Type 1 has ser # below taking lens.

3.5 E2 Type 2 has ser # below taking lens.

3.5 E3 has ser# above nameplate.

I hope this helps. If you can find the serial #, post it and I will try t

o provide more information. Are you sure it is an F model ?

Sounds like you could have an E model.