This question is mainly for Calumet/Cambo users, as the explanation

may be hard to follow for others.

I have a like-new Calumet 45N with a very irritating problem, When I

pull back on the GG frame to insert a filmholder, the pivot points

pop out from behind their retaining springs. The spring closes the

rest of the way, so that the pivot points may no longer sit

correctly, so consequently the frame cannot return to its correct,

seated, position. Also the springs are disengaed from the frame, so

there is no pressure to hold in the filmholder.

With a fair amount of work, with needle nose pliars and a Phillips

head screwdriver, I managed to correct the problem, and also add some

nice bright scratches to the frame. Next time I (carefully) pulled

back on the GG frame, the same thing happened again, even easier than

last time.

I mention all this in the pathetic hope that it is a known problem,

with a known solution. Is it? I don't want to go to a lot of

trouble or expense, because, frankly, this is a back-up camera that I

am not particularly fond of.

TIA,

CXC

I am looking at inside of the back-half of the graflok back on my Cambo 45NX. The "springs" are two 5" long "leaf" springs, one on each side of the glass.

One end is screwed into the black metal frame. The other (springy) end rides on chrome catches which connect the assembly to the frame attached to the rear standard.

The springs rest on little "ears" which are turned up at the end, like those vertical fins on the new 747 wingtips.

The "fins" hold the leaf spring from sliding off to the side. And the length of the spring prevents it from sliding off the end.

The only thing I can think of is that either the springs are somehow too short, or the little fins which hold the springs have broken off. But having both sides fail at the same time seems remote.

Calumet has a dandy repair department which you can telephone for advice. The head guy is Hispanic, but I'm sorry I can't remember his name. This is surely a simple parts replacement problem which should require little or no labor charges.

Find them on-line in the USA at:

http://www.calumetphoto.com/syrinx/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=common.IncSel&ac.ui.if=text/repairs.jsp

John, thanks for having a look. I believe my spring setup in the 45N is different from yours in the 45NX. My catch is a flat cylinder, with no wingtips to keep the spring (coil, not leaf) from sliding off. Sounds like the NX design specifically addresses my problem.

Luckily there is a Calumet here in San Francisco -- I'll bring it in and undoubtedly get talked into buying an NX back...

Thanks,

CXC

Sorry, I can't help with your problem. I have two Cambo cameras, and have never experienced the problem.

I can however help with the gentleman's name in the Calumet repair department. His name is Jose, and he has been very helpful to me on a few occasions when I called with questions about my camera.