Cheap tripod, monopod or nothing at all?

pablo_s

I own a G3 and I am in the process of buying a D30 + EF 28-135/3.5-

4.5 IS + EF 50/1.8 lenses. Since the G3 has a fast lens (f/2-f/3),

the 28-135/3.5-5.6 has IS and the 50/1.8 is obviously fast, I should

be able to handhold in many situations. Besides, at the moment I

don't have the budget to get a good tripod. Still, sometimes I feel

the need to have one (macro shots, night shots). My only two

realistic options at the moment are: really cheap tripod or monopod.

I don't feel like spending more than $50 since I will get something

better when I can afford it.

<P>

What is your suggestion? Tripod, monopod, or wait until I can save

enough for a bogen? I have used a cheapo tripod before, but the

camera was very light (Nikon Coolpix 4500). At the moment I

considered it to be much better than nothing (but far from perfect).

<P>

Regards, Pablo.

If you want to do macro and night shots (eg. cityscapes) seriously, then it's better to save for a decent tripod (decent Bogens suitable for your setup are not that expensive after all). Some macro shots (eg. butterflies) are often best made hand-held, while others require a steady tripod. I have a monopod, but I don't think it's a good idea for macro; it's better for events, people etc.

For night shooting it depends: if you want more PJ-style images, then a monopod might be useful, but if you want cityscapes or architecture, then a decent tripod is the key.

The problem with cheap tripods are that they are frequently harder to use than good tripods, they don't raise very high and they don't tolerate any wind or vibrations.

If you are buying a dSRL you should know that all are very sensitive to movement and vibration. With those lenses you should have no problem in normal light situations but in low light and macro shots you can be in trouble. No tripod is not a choice for serious work, and you can get an inexpensive Manfroto that can do good work for you.

Remenber to bring your camera and the biggest lens to the store when buying the tripod and test all possible positions.

A table top Manfrotto with ball head will work for now for macro and night shots on top of a handy wall, trash can etc...but there is no substitute with your heavy lenses and camera for a sturdy Bogen/Manfrotto three legged beast( I know not of Velbons and Sliks sorry). Actually it (a 6+lb tripod) is a bargain in the long run. Definitely save for one or a similar set of "good legs" and don't forget a decent hhead. It is an investment. This hobby is not a cheap one as you noticed. At tonight's town hall meeting I will use a monopod with an Olympus digicam, but that is only so so and not good for macro or night work, cause I can only monopod hold for about 1/8 a second for sharpness guarantee. My two kopeks, aloha, Gerry

Well I think you know your choices. There is no substitute for a tripod, a monopod is specialized and handy at times, but it won't replace a tripod if you need one. A table top works fine, all you need to carry is a table.

Your choices are get a reasonable cheap one and later (maybe if you find you truly need it) get a better one. Getting the least expensive is not going to do it. There are tripods in the sub-$50 to $100 range that are effective and usable. But you have to accept the shortcomings. Often they aren't as stable as might be desired and the setting/heads may not be too smooth, etc. And they won't take rough handling. They will not perform over the long haul like an expensive one. But, you can spend what you can spend.

Avoid too many leg sections and aim for one high enough without using the center column. Unfortunately I haven't seen a stunning tripod at many of the non-photo type stores recently whereas they used to carry reasonable Velbons, etc. Some fair ones but not great. No, an $80 tripod isn't going to match a $300 or maybe even a $150 set. But it will, chosen carefully and handled well, serve well compared to a $30 pod.

If I assert,photofriend Bill, that I never much cared for the long lived Tiltall design (Keep this out of the Inquirer) will I lose my icon, will my prom date cancel, will my S.O. leave lumps in the mashed potatoes,will my nose grow, will Leitz ban me from Fotokina, and will all my future posts be prefaced with infamous snob? But actually Pablo, I owned a Star D Tiltall, and although it was not bad, it is surpassed by anything made by Manfrotto or Gitzo which can be got used also,like one I own. For fifty bucks, use any tripod in good health,stiff aluminum legs that lock easily and a pan tilt head for starters OK,ball head later on. But as our founder Dr Greenspun opined, its Bogen or the (Freedom Fries anyone?)Le Gitzo models for a life partnership. So Pablo, its corn chowder for lunch and dinner for three months to save up. My congrats to you for even THINKING to buy a support system. Fair winds and following seas all, Gerry

Exactly right Bill. When Leitz took over the Tiltall it was beautifully machined, like the original or better even. I have examined sample from the latest company(?) to produce it,and while still an amazingly servicable design from 1939(!), I just happen to think it had its day and has been surpassed. Honest disagreement,hey whatever. Very servicable unit if you get a good one, overtaken by the legs/head separate models I decided personally, and new designs with levers versus collets are even more friendly in my opinion.Bill,let's talk more over a brew :-) or latte; aloha Gerry, (wasting a life in Paradise...few here who know what Tiltall was in its heyday of sales.) Trusting Pablo and the moderators will indulge a diversion of interest mainly to tripod-lore aficionados...GS

Slik makes some good, inexpensive tripods (e.g. U8000) that are quite usable. For the focal lengths you're talking about it would serve its purpose just fine. I still have mine for situations where I want to be light, but still have a 'full' height pod.