100mm 2.8 Macro with 12mm tube and 1.4x

Would the 100mm Macro lens be usable with a 12mm extension tube and

the 1.4x teleconverter? Particularly at 1:1 and higher?

Sometimes I find I don't have enough working distance with the 100mm

lens alone at 1:1. I was wondering if I used the 1.4x converter with a

12mm extension tube to allow it to be mounted would work and give me

more working distance?

Anyone have any experience with this combo?

Not sure about the increased working distance that the extension tube will give you, but you ain't going to get it with the tele extenders, either 1.4 or 2, because they will not fit on this lens (they fit a limted range of lenses, see the Canon lit for details). Perhaps the 180 is more of the working disttance you are looking for.

The Canon 1.4X and 2X teleconverters will work with any Canon lens if you place the extension tube(s) between the TC and the lens (Trust me. I've used this combination before, and reconfirmed it just now).

That would give you a magnification ratio of 1:1.4 beyond life-size with the Canon 100mm macro lens (either version).

Two downsides: 1. The increased magnification comes at the cost of one f-stop of light (two stops for the 2X TC). 2. You will lose infinity focus with most lenses, so the combination is only good for closeup shots.

So the order is: camera body / TC / extension tube(s) / lens.

You can have a lot of fun playing with these combinations, and capture amazing images. And with a DSLR, you can get instant feedback on your experiments, without the cost of developing film.

Images taken with this combination are very sharp, because of the high quality of both the 100mm macro and the 1.4X TC.

I was shooting slides at the time and they aren't scanned, so I can't post any samples. With the 10D, image quality might be even better, because the edges are cropped.

• 2 weeks later...