wise to invest on Pentax MZ-M (ZX-M)?

packman

Ever since I borrowed a SLR from my friend while backpacking/ mountaineering, I never brought a point-and-shoot again. A reason why I purchased the MZ-M...I still am pretty much new to photography that time so I hesitated to purchase the higher end AF SLRs. Together with this MZ-M body, I also purchased the Pentax 35-80 and 80-200 lenses.

Now I am itching for an upgrade. Unfortunately, I cannot dispose my MZ-Ms since offer prices are too low. I pretty much have my eyes set on the Canon 300D but as long as I still haven't been able to liquidate my old SLR...the 300D will remain to be a dream ;)

Since I'm pretty much stuck with my old SLR...not to say that I am unhappy with it though...my only gripe are my old lenses...is it just wise for me to invest on better lenses (Higher end Pentax lenses, Tamron or Sigma)? Should I choose better Pentax lenses...I need to buy a Pentax body when I can afford to upgrade. Should I choose the latter 2 brands, I have to choose those for manual focus...which again will be stuck with me when I upgrade to an AF SLR.

Whew! Decisions, decisions...I pretty much know that it all comes down to me and what my decision would really be but should you be faced with this decision...what will you do? Look forward to your advise/ comments...thanks! :)

If you want new quality lenses for your Pentax MZ-M you really can't go past the Cosina Voigtlander limited edition lenses that are out now.

If you are thinking about upgrading your camera, you should also investigate the possibility of using a CV rangefinder camera. Again their lenses are superb and so much better in many ways than even using an SLR. They certainly are a lot of fun to use.

Have a look at CameraQuest.com website if you want to learn more. I've got my eyes on the 125mm f2.5 macro 1:1 SL lens. Haven't decided which mount to take it in yet however. (It's available in many including K & M42).

Your MZ-M camera is GREAT for upgrading! It can use any K-mount lens ever made, plus anything which can take a K-mount adapter.

I use a MZ-5n camera with a mixture of lenses including a 28mm/2.8 SMC-M, a 100mm macro AF, an old Pentax 35-105mm zoom and more. Every new Pentax camera can use any old lens, so don't worry about having to upgrade.

The autufocus bodies even give a kind of "manual autofocus" with manual focus lenses. I seriously considered switching to C/N a few years ago until I discovered this, and I'm really glad I decided to stay with Pentax.

Spend your money on good optics - AF lenses are no better than MF lenses!

Stick with your Pentax and, as has already been suggested, add good prime lenses. Actually have to question what you mean by upgrading to a 'higher end' SLR. Do you mean one with more bells and whistles? More automatic functions? That's not necessarily higher end! Your fully manual MZ-M should provide you better photos anyway, assuming good primes, with the only major weakness being, I believe, its lack of regular spot or center-weighted metering. Solve that by buying a cheap incident meter if you don't trust its matrix metering system. And you certainly don't need the 'creative' functions on other cameras - landscape, portrait, sports etc - as those functions merely repeat the basic choice between apeture or shutter priority.

Absolutely no reason to change. Instead, spend your money on lenses and your time on technique.

Sweeet! Thanks for all your comments...

I pretty much decided that I am happy with my camera...until that time comes that I make it my profession...which is light years away. Anyway, I plan to purchase the Tokina 19-35 for my super wide angle lens...can't seem to find other within my price budget ($200) and maximum aperture (2.8).

Do you think this is a good buy?