their value better than I was hoping. Wrapping my gear up in bubble

wrap or a towel kind of defeats the whole purpose of doing this,

which is ease of use & easy access to gear while protecting it. So,

if any of ya out there has modified, what did you do? You think a

few padded lunch coolers cut up & added velcro would work? I could

buy a Lowepro Orion AW & uglify it some, but this homade way seems

more fun.

Heather-

Tenba and Domke in particular make padded inserts for their bags in rows of two or three that will accept differently-sized photo gear. These items are relatively inexpensive:

http://www.tenba.com/

http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/domkest.htm

What is important is that the padding be dense and closed-cell. In the event the bag hits the ground, the padding can't compress to the point where pieces of equipment effectively bang into each other.

Also, separated by the padding, you want your equipment packed tightly. This prevents equipment from gaining momentum when a bag is suddenly compressed.

Regards,

Heather,

I don't want to kill your inventive spirit, but I suggest you take a look at kinesisgear.com. They offer a wide variety of pouches that fit on a padded waist belt or backpack style rig. I have been very satisfied with mine. It allows me to carry a significant amount of gear all day long without issue.

I strongly considered a Mountainsmith this summer when REI had them on sale. It's not going to flop completely open and has real flexibility with the waist and shoulder strap options. But it's still pretty much just an empty bag w/o too many small [pckets or protective "pouches." I decided against it mostly because I decided that by the time I made pouches or holders, I'd be back in dedicated camera bag price ranges. I've since found a $10 surplus GI (gasmask bag??)) that has a reasonably snug snap and velcro top with a semi-attached shoulder/waist strap that will also accomodate a web belt, which will take suspenders so I'm experimenting cheaply anyway. You may want to look at bottle holders, many are dense foam.

Bottle holders would be good. Another thing about closed cell padding, which most bottle holders would have, is that if it gets wet, the moisture can't penetrate; ergo the name "closed cell."

Once moisture gets into a puffy, open-cell foam, it is unlikely to dry right and may smell. And nobody wants to put camera equipment in a bag that smells like a wet dog. Even my dogs don't like to smell each other when they are wet.

Well, I have sewn my own camera bag from scratch (packcloth outside, closed cell foam and nylon tafetta inside). If you want to modify an existing bag... I would probably try to sew or glue a few well-positioned patches of velcro (loop) inside, then make a few "separators"/"protectors" - pieces of closed-cell foam inside some fabric shaped such that they fit just right into your original bag, with matching velcro hook pieces that can hold the separators/protectors in place inside the bag.

I use either a large (9x11x5) waistpack (from a military surplus store) or a regular messenger bag. Line up the bottom with an old mousepad that's cut to shape and Domke inserts for lenses, a light meter and a small flash.

Hi Heather,

I am in the same boat is you it would seem. For short hikes and general

googing off where I need to carry my kit more than use it I have used a

Mountainsmith "Day Pack". I have a couple of Domke inserts I use when I

want quicker access. Otherwise I have used neoprene pouchs, "Padded

Cells" from Outdoor Research, wrapped stuff in pile jackets, etc.

I have thought of making my own inserts by cutting up an old sleeping pad

and gluing something together.

Sorry I have not come up with anything better, If you find something that works

please let us know!

Thats it! Thats my bag (but in blue) and that is what I want for the inside:

http://www.sportsshooter.com/souffle/mountainsmith/

I hope it will be enough. I will most likely be carrying:

Elan 7 w/28-105 USM

Pentax Super Program w/24

& extra space for odds & ends or extra lens (probably 50mm)

If it works out, I may trick out a backpack for tripod days & longer dayhikes.

Scott...

I think I am going to try the Domke inserts. B&H is conveniently close to my commute home so I can bring the bag in & ask to try it out. My main reason for doing this instead of buying is

1) A good pack with correct support... I trust certain companies that make serious backpacking gear. I am a hard fit & the universal backpacks & such tend to be no good.

2) Its more fun than buying a ready made bag & I get to revel in my masterpiece

3) If I can modify one bag well enough, then I can do any bag so I'll never have to worry about having more or less bag than I need

I plan on using this for urban trips & light walking. If it works, I'll modify a larger pack that I can use on long dayhikes & for times when I know I'll need my regular sized tripod.

Hi Heather,

I have the same Mountainsmith that you do and it's my number one pack for carrying my camera gear around with. I love it because it sits close to my back, is incredibly comfortable, and it doesn't bounce around. Nor does it look like a camera bag for times when I'm concerned about theft. I did quite a bit of work looking for just the right bag to carry my camera gear comfortably on long days. Nothing made for photographers matched the comfort and function of packs made by outdoor gear manufacturers. So, I settled on retrofitting my Mountainsmith.

To make it work, I bought a closed-cell foam sleeping pad from an outdoor gear store (EMS, REI, etc.) and cut a piece to lay flat in the bottom of the pack. I cut a second piece that fits inside, up against the sides and front of the pack (That portion of the pack that sits away from your back). I cut this piece such that it's a snug fit which opens and stretches the pack outwards, maximizing the pack's volume. This aids in keeping the bag wide open, making the zipper work smoothly and getting the camera in and out easily. I sewed some velcro to this foam and to the inside of the back of the pack. A couple of old camera bag dividers are held in place by this velcro and used to seperate the pack in compartments. This configuration holds a body, three lenses, a couple of filters and some film.

It's a sweet setup that functions like a camera bag: Zip it open and the gear is available all the while protected. There's no unwrapping of foam around individual lenses or removing them from their own padded bags. It's also a pretty cheap solution.

Cheers,

Heather,

For a mid-size backpack I have had good luck with an Arc-teryx Bora 30. The "Kangaroo" pouch on the back allow me to carry my tripod (G1226) upside down along the centerline of the pack. I protect the ballhead with a neoprene lens pouch.

I drop the Mountainsmith daypack into the top of the pack. I work out of the Mountainsmith once I find something interesting. I like the Arc-teryx because it is light, tough, and carries well with < 30# loads. It also comes two sizes so finding one that fits is a little easier.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9250073&parent_category_rn=4500574

As for inserts I took a look at the B&H site a found a few from Temba that look interesting. I don�t know if they are sized right for your gear or if they are too heavy but they look as they might offer more protection than the Domke products.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh5/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=155216&is=REG

Luck!

Well, I have been planing for a very long time now... My suggestin is to buy, missing word, foam, thicknes one finger or less, to be put under sleeping-bag when camping and cut it to fitting pieces and to sew a lining around. Outside either military surplus or if that doesn't look shabby enough (motorbike saddlebags) used damaged rubber blankets from a offset-printshop.