would hesitate to say which one is better then the other, however I

can't get past the hasselblad hype :) But providing that if I buy a

hasselblad and use the older C lenses, how does it compare to the

newer bronica sq-ai lenses?

Anyone have any experience in using both models for "general"

photography? Help! someone talk me out of the hasselblad before its

too late :)

Mike,

I won't try to talk you out of a Hasselblad but I will try to convince you to get one. I was given a 500cm with an 80mm about 2 years ago and it changed my work entirely.

Hasselblad is a terrific camera that will last forever. Mine came from a good friend who was a portrait and wedding photographer. I used the 80mm for about a year before I got another lens for it (150 C). You can easily get by on the one lens.

Currently on ebay, there are several 500cm kits for around $800 and I've watched several 150 C lenses sell for under $500. These are terrific prices.

I currently own a 503CW, Mamiya 7, and a Pentax 67. They all sit at home except for 503CW. It is now a well traveled camera. Actually, I am about to do my second NYC to Santa Fe NM road trip with it. It packs relatively well and I often go out with just the 80mm, a light meter, tripod, and film. It makes for a nice day without worrying about which lens to use.

I am sure that you will love the 500cm. It is a great camera.

good luck,

david b

You certainly can get a Hasselblad on a budget. I paid £330 for mine (500C, original 12-on magazine, late T* 80mm and the waist level finder off a 503). Obviously, for that money you needn't expect pretty but I did get a guarantee (which they've honoured) and it works very well.

<<Seems like everyone wants to get a hasselblad at least once in there lifetime>>

And now it seems that a lot of them are dumping their Hasselblad for digital. So, yes, there is such a thing as Hasselblad on a budget. It just depends on how big is the budget. And if you've got patience, it's getting smaller by the minute.

Between KEH and Ebay you don't have to pay much more than $1000 for a basic Hassy camera. A12 film backs around $200 (less for a manual 12 back), 500C body around $350 and (at KEH) 150mm T* lens for $485 (bargain condition, mine made some shooter a lot of money in its heyday but great glass and all controls tight and accurate, it just looks a little tired) and even less if you just want an 80mm. For mechanical parts like the body it's probably best to buy from somewhere that money back guarantees working condition.

It may be on this board or somewhere else that this point was made. The cameras and accessories with precission moving parts that are most prone to failure are the ones in "like new" condition, usually due to lack of use. So it's caveat emptor on that account, the good news is that 'Blads age very well with a little tlc.

"The cameras and accessories with precission moving parts that are most prone to failure are the ones in "like new" condition, usually due to lack of use."

This statement is sort of true and quite misleading. All mechanical parts have a duty cycle that eventually leads to failure. Heavily used pro cameras may have the advantage that their mechanisms aren't gummed up by dried lubricants, but they're just that closer to dropping a shutter blade, or broken spring or...

The rarely used cameras may have problems, usually related to dried lubricants. But get them cla'd & they're a better bet. Factor that cla into the price though...

You might also want to factor in, at a minimum, the cost of a brighter Beattie or Maxwell focusing screen or a prism finder. I recently read an interview of Michael Kenna who said that after switching from Nikon to Hasselblad gear (many years ago) he had trouble with the transition until he got a 45 degree finder for his Hasselblad.

I don't use Hasselblad but have considered 'em several times. The waist level finder generally has the same problem as my Rollei TLR finder - kinda dim at the corners under the best of circumstances, and very difficult to use outdoors when the light strikes everything just the wrong way.

If I were going to invest in a MF SLR system the finder options (and costs) would be high on my list of priorities.

Go for it. I started with a 500cm, 80C, 150C and a A12 back.

Great, great camera. Later I picked up a 503cx body, because I wanted the TTL flash support. If you can, try to get the new style chimney. IMHO they are better than the older style you see on the 500cm series.

Not a must, but if you can why not? Try KEH.com.or Henrys.com. Unlike ebay you get a warrenty and the odds of getting screwed are a lot slimmer.

My advice would be to factor in a CLA for the body and lens. If you can use a screwdriver you can change the light trap on the magazine yourself, if needed.

Good luck.

feli

It does have to be said. The SQAi is a very good little camera. Lots on board & a nice system. Plenty of extras & all at high quality. The lenses are great. Unless you are doing billboard sized prints then realistically you will see very little difference in sharpness between the Bronica & Hasselblad lenses (anyone got specs or care to comment on this?). I'd buy one & the price is very user friendly.

Hasselblad . . . . I love em! Happy Hasselblad customer & plan on staying that way. My next 6x6 camera purchase will most likely be another Hasselblad. I don't mind paying the price, when I first used one I was knocked sideways by the build & quality of it. All these neat tricks & no need for batteries! User friendly & relativly fool proof. Baron deserts, freezing alps & pouring rain have not stopped it. If i'm out & about for the day I'll pack a 500cm + 80mm lens, light meter & film into a small camera bag & it does everything I've ever needed so far.

Gavin

Another source for replacement screens to update an older Hasselblad is from Hasselblad itself. I was recently given a 1971 vintage 500c/m that had the original, very dim, non-Acute Matte viewscreen. Through Hasselblad USA's website - in the "discount corner" section I believe - I was able to obtain the part number for a used Acute Matte screen direct from Hasselblad. They have to be ordered through a dealer. The dealer was flabbergasted that Hasselblad sent me a screen in absolutely perfect condition for only $30. He had some on consignment for $150! Check the web site to see if they're still available. The new Acute Matte made indoor photography much easier.

MF SLRs are OK, but, having bought three Hasselblads and four lenses, I am now getting into LF and digital.

Now might be a good time to buy a Hasselblad, as, with 645 CCDs becomming more popular, people will be clinging on to their Hasselblad kit for digital (particularly those who want to use 645 vertical).

Hasselblads are system cameras, and you will not get the full benefit of the system if you only use one or two lenses, but you have the opportunity to expand.

Mike,

I too would have to recommend you trying to get a second hand hasselblad. The 500c/m is a great box. As much as Jay is sounding like a broken record (he really needs to beef up his material soon...) the hassies ARE coming down in prices because of the economy the way it is and the growth of the digital market.

Hold out for a good price and get one! :-)

Thanks everyone for there opinions. Looks like ebay may be the best way to go in order to get a kit at a decent price. I have about 2300 for my budget which should cover a basic system. From all the lens choices, I may opt to skip the 80mm and try to get a 100mm instead. Seems to be highly recommended.

Mike-

On the budget you've mentioned you could try ignoring second hand and buying new from Hong Kong. I soothed my burning desire for a Hassie at honk kong supplies (www.hksupplies.com) and got brand new for less than half list price here in the UK. I don't want this to sound like an advertisement for Poon (who owns the shop), but the service was great, it came in 3 or 4 days, well packed etc etc. There is, of course, a down side: you only get a one-year international warranty. But then is anything likely to go wrong in the first year? And you have no greater guarantee if you buy second hand...