Mamiya 6 MF questions

don_minton

I am flirting with purchasing the 6 MF. Can anyone tell me what the effective field of view (in degrees) is when used in 35mm "panoramic" mode with the 50 mm lens? I assume the aspect ratio is roughly 24x60 mm, am I correct? Also, how close does the 50 mm lens focus?

<p>

Thanks,

Don Minton

According to the angle calculator on photo.net, the horizontal angle using the 50mm lens is about 58.5 degrees, vertical angle for 24mm, about 27 degrees. I've never really understood the practical value of the 35mm panoramic adapter for the Mamiya 6. If you're going to do a lot of panoramic photography, it seems you would want to buy a true panoramic camera. If you're doing panoramic photography only occasionally, just crop the 6x6 neg.

<p>

None of the lenses for this camera focus as closely as you would want, but, as the Mamiya people explain it on their web site forum, this is an inherent trade off in a medium format rangefinder with the compact size of the camera. The good news is, because of the larger film size, you can crop down to a pretty tight shot and still have a 35mm-sized negative.

<p>

Despite all of its inherent limitations, for my type of photography, the Mamiya 6 is the best travel/backpacking camera I know of.